Immediate crisis, abandoned egg, please help

Oh, come on guys! It's already right at hatching point....... you don't have to keep it THAT warm, just enough so they don't freeze to death. They are already alive and kicking!
You are always so pragmatic and easy going about all this. One day I aspire to be as comfortable with my chickens as you are! :clap

I just had a hen hatch two of three eggs and get off the nest with the two chicks. I rescued the third egg and plopped it under another broody until it hatched. The surrogate broody rejected it one day after it hatched. While the original mom was sitting on her two 24+hours old babies I gently tucked the new baby under her wing. She chirped at it, raised her wing like "where did THAT one come from?" and immediately settled back down on her three chicks.

Many try to reintroduce chicks at night while mom can't see what is going on. I would rather try it in broad daylight where I can keep an eye on things and get ready to intervene if it doesn't work out.

I would guess I've had success two out of three times. It's up to the hen when all is said and done.

I pulled away part of the shell, but only what was not attached to the inner membrane, which I left intact. So far, so good--she is still moving, no bleeding.
Don't pull any more off, if too much is gone it won't be able to brace itself to zip. Like others have said, it may take 24 hours until you see progress. Good luck! :fl

There's not much to see beyond a weak chick. I gave her a drop of nutri drench. View attachment 1884186
That doesn't look too terribly bad actually. I've rushed them before where they had more yolk than this still un absorbed and after a few hours it was all closed up and doing just fine. Just Keep it warm for now it may just surprise you.

20190821_003500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom