Immediate crisis, abandoned egg, please help

I don't know how long the egg was abandoned. It was cold to the touch.
How long after they cheap do they come out?
I have never heard my eggs cheeping until they were internally pipped intot the air sac, I do remember some said they can cheep a few days before hatch thought so maybe someone more experienced can answer that

Right now I literally have this egg shoved down my bra what am I going to do???
:lau don't mean to laugh, but that's quite a visual. I think the damp towel and heating pad could work. Do you have a brooding lamp and a thermometer? That might work better than the heating pad, IMHO, because it wouldn't be setting directly on the heat source. Seems to me a quick brooder set up in a tote or box of some kind with the heat lamp and keep the temp at 99.5 would work. The wet towel is a good idea too. You'll probably need the brooder set up anyway because the hen may not take the chick in when you reintroduce it. If you don't have a heat lamp you could use a light bulb, but it has to be incandescent to produce the heat.

Oh, come on guys! It's already right at hatching point....... you don't have to keep it THAT warm, just enough so they don't freeze to death. They are already alive and kicking!
You are always so pragmatic and easy going about all this. One day I aspire to be as comfortable with my chickens as you are! :clap

Update:
20190820_163858.jpg

I can't find a heating pad, the egg is actively hatching, so I literally put the egg on warm damp paper towels in a Christmas box and shoved it into a car. It's hot today, but not unbearably so, and a car with the windows rolled down is hot but not horrible.
So that's the plan for now. I stuck a thermometer next to the box so I can monitor the temperature.

Good example as to why if you have broody hens you should have an incubator on standby.

I've popped many a late hatching egg in my little Brinsea when mom toddles off with new chicks and leaves one alive and kickin behind.
In your experience, do the moms then take in the chick once you hatch it out?

Update:
View attachment 1883852
I can't find a heating pad, the egg is actively hatching, so I literally put the egg on warm damp paper towels in a Christmas box and shoved it into a car. It's hot today, but not unbearably so, and a car with the windows rolled down is hot but not horrible.
So that's the plan for now. I stuck a thermometer next to the box so I can monitor the temperature.
Good idea!

Back
Top Bottom