Impacted crop ——-> Sour crop

Thank you @azygous! Because of your support, our Eliza rejoined the flock yesterday! She quickly reminded the other girls of their pecking order and hit the spa. She had just a very small bit of squish to her crop this morning, but still has a couple of days left of her yeast treatment. I cannot thank you enough for all of your help. Hopefully, you won’t ever hear from me again. But, if I ever have a medical issue with one of my girls, I will save the vet bill and reach out. Have a wonderful week!
05F17F40-7148-4204-8E84-AF82084C3B00.jpeg

Hi @azygous! I wondered if I could bother you for a bit more advice. Eliza is back with the flock and seems to be doing just fine. Her crop has yet to completely empty, however. This morning it was still pretty doughy, but malleable. Last night she still had a water ballooney feel to it. More doughy than water ballooney this morning. Last night concluded 7 days of Monistat. She acts completely fine. What would be your suggestion going forward? Thank you!!

Use a little oil and massage and see if the lump will break up and go down. It's not uncommon for the crop to be a bit slow following a bout of sour crop or impacted crop. Be sure she's accessing grit okay and check her crop each morning for a few days to monitor it.

Did you mention how old she is? Older hens often have slow crops, and there is always a possibility of an underlying issue that could be causing slow crop, such as a tumor obstructing the movement of material through the digestive tract.

Let's monitor her crop for the next few days, and we'll see if we can figure out why it won't empty completely.

She’s only about a year and a half. She’s always been a bit of a mess. We will continue with oil and massages and hope for the best! Grit is available for her. I’ll update you in a few days. Thanks so much!!

Thank you @azygous! Because of your support, our Eliza rejoined the flock yesterday! She quickly reminded the other girls of their pecking order and hit the spa. She had just a very small bit of squish to her crop this morning, but still has a couple of days left of her yeast treatment. I cannot thank you enough for all of your help. Hopefully, you won’t ever hear from me again. But, if I ever have a medical issue with one of my girls, I will save the vet bill and reach out. Have a wonderful week!View attachment 2612087
What a pretty girl, so glad she's better!

Back
Top Bottom