Impacted crop, on all 3 hens HELP!

LIAM MCCONKEY

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2018
I first noticed my chickens were acting slow around their enclosure and weren’t eating food but drinking lots of water, I later found out that they might have an impacted crop. So I managed to get the chicken who looked the worse throw up a few times before bed. How many times should I do this to her and the others? They have had it for about 2 days now. Are the any other treatments for this? Is it life threating?
Any help will be much appreciated

-Liam

Hi Liam. Are there crops empty I'm the morning before you let them out to eat? My hens totally fill up in the day and have crops like tennis balls! If they are eating alot of grass sometimes a bit can get stuck are stop the crop from emptying. For impacted crop I wouldn't make them sick, just carefully massage it for 5-10 mins and make sure they drink water. Some people advise giving them olive oil but I have never done that. If it is sour crop, the crop feels large and squishy/watery, you can still massage it, but if you make them sick make sure you hold there head down below the body and carefully push/squeeze the crop so some contents come out. You don't need to empty the crop just get some out and hopefully it should start working properly again. You may need to do this a couple of times. Be carefull not to let the hen breathe any liquid in. You can also withhold all food for the day and see if the crop reduces in size. Don't withhold water! Make sure they have access to oyster shell and grit. This helps grind food up in the crop aswell ad calcium for egg laying.

They will be drinking quite alot because it is alot warmer at the moment. It may be worthwhile putting electrolytes in the water to give them a boost.
I have put Epsom salt in their water as I read on another forum that It can help wh n the crop is full. They have access to lots of grit and water. They are kept on wood chip so don’t eat grass that often they only eat it when I pull it out of the ground for them. All of their crops this morning looked a little full as they were sagging down more often than the other side. What does the oil do? And how do I give it to them? Also should I feed them yoghurt aswell?

This kind of thing just happened to me with my pullet. I made her throw up the first night and separated her from her sisters with no water or food. Every once in a while I would hold her on my lap and massage her crop, I had to make her vomit a couple more times that night. I checked her crop first thing in the morning. I let her out of the chicken hospital and watched her walk around to see what her behavior was like (tired, listless, puffed or head pulled in). I then gave her about a tablespoon of coconut oil unmelted. Massaged somemore. Checked her pen for signs of poo or vomit. That night I gave her a small amount of water. Next morning when I checked on her she was mad. Pecking at everything and just griping away at me because she was lonely, hungry, bored and thirsty. I made her a boiled egg yolk with coconut oil. She loved it. I massaged her crop again. in the afternoon, I gave her a probiotic yogurt and water with...about an eighth of a teaspoon of ACV I her water. Played with her and then Put her in. That night I took the food and water out of the chicken house and let Hilde spend the night wither her sisters. Next morning I checked all crops and then gave water with a probiotic and some grit and chicken food with water. This did fix her impacted crop, and her sour crop, but I had to take her to the vet because it seemed like her crop just would not empty on its own. We found out that she has a hernia, so nice I have to make my girl a bra, but she is out with her sisters. I hope this help, even a little.

The oil should help the impacted crop break down and pass into the gizzard. You just give a few drops into the beak with a dropperI. I read another post of yours that you thought you may have cocci. Do they have any bloody poop? You can treat it with harkers coxoid. It is amprolium. ACV is good for a preventative. 20 ml per litre of water once a month. Yoghurt is great so long as it is natural. I mix some with oatmeal once in a while. They go crazy for it. It helps balance their intestinal health. I have a probiotic powder called entrodex that mixes with the water.

I recommend giving coconut oil daily. This worked with my hen who got an impacted crop, I gave it to her then messaged the crop a bit to work it into whatever was stuck in it. Feeding yogurt is a good idea also if you can get probiotics I would put that in their water.

If they go off their food try and temped them with scrambled eggs, or hard boiled mashed up. Good luck getting them better!

I would avoid making them throw up unless the oil alone doesn't start flushing stuff out of their system. Making them throw up means the could aspirate the throw-up and then you could have chickens with pneumonia too.

I would really make sure that your 3 hens actually have a crop impaction, and not just a full crop. How old are they? Chickens should be able to pull off short pieces of grasses themselves, not fed grasses that you have pulled for them.

The crops should be mostly empty by early morning before they have access to food or water. If they are, you may not have a problem. Giving them Epsom salts, vomiting them, and other treatments before you know there is a problem may be harmful. Vomiting can easily kill them, so should be done with care and expertise.

They could be acting lethargic for some other reason. I am just saying to make sure they have a problem before you start treating it, especially if you are new to chickens.

Here is a good link to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

I would really make sure that your 3 hens actually have a crop impaction, and not just a full crop. How old are they? Chickens should be able to pull off short pieces of grasses themselves, not fed grasses that you have pulled for them.

The crops should be mostly empty by early morning before they have access to food or water. If they are, you may not have a problem. Giving them Epsom salts, vomiting them, and other treatments before you know there is a problem may be harmful. Vomiting can easily kill them, so should be done with care and expertise.

They could be acting lethargic for some other reason. I am just saying to make sure they have a problem before you start treating it, especially if you are new to chickens.

Here is a good link to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/
They are about 8 months old and have a full crop in the morning. I have to pull out grass and give it to them as they do not have any in their run.

I recommend giving coconut oil daily. This worked with my hen who got an impacted crop, I gave it to her then messaged the crop a bit to work it into whatever was stuck in it. Feeding yogurt is a good idea also if you can get probiotics I would put that in their water.

If they go off their food try and temped them with scrambled eggs, or hard boiled mashed up. Good luck getting them better!

I would avoid making them throw up unless the oil alone doesn't start flushing stuff out of their system. Making them throw up means the could aspirate the throw-up and then you could have chickens with pneumonia too.
I fed them yoghurt and they loved it they seem a lot more active now. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom