Impacted Crop or Something else, help!

Clucky-Cathy

In the Brooder
May 9, 2019
New Zealand
Hi can you help??

We're quite new to backyard chicken keeping, we've had ours for about 6 months now. A couple of days ago we noticed that our two big black orpingtons have lost feathers on their chests. We thought it was due to mites, so we treated the coop and the chickens and hoped for the best. Then yesterday we saw that their crops were big and bulging right where their feathers have disappeared. We suspected impacted crop (definitely on the one) so this morning I went to feel if their crops had emptied overnight. The one has gone down completely, so she's fine (apart from the feather loss) but the other was still hard and golfball sized. It was tennis ball sized when we noticed it yesterday, so it has gone down a little. I've isolated her and given her only garlic water and a little bread soaked in olive oil as I read that can help. I also tried to massage her crop gently. But it doesn't seem to have done anything, the crop is still golfball sized, maybe a little more squishy than it was this morning.

The thing that's worrying me the most though is that the skin on her crop is very, very red and inflamed. I haven't seen this linked to impacted crop on any of the articles I've read about it so I'm wondering if something else might be going on?

In terms of behaviour, she's acting completely fine and she's most upset with me for separating her from the others and not giving her any food. She's still laying.

Has anyone else had a red and inflamed crop before?
Is there anything else we can try for impacted crop?

Thanks!!

two big black orpingtons have lost feathers on their chests. We thought it was due to mites, so we treated the coop and the chickens and hoped for the best. Then yesterday we saw that their crops were big and bulging right where their feathers have disappeared. We suspected impacted crop (definitely on the one) so this morning I went to feel if their crops had emptied overnight. The one has gone down completely, so she's fine (apart from the feather loss) but the other was still hard and golfball sized. It was tennis ball sized when we noticed it yesterday, so it has gone down a little.

I've isolated her and given her only garlic water and a little bread soaked in olive oil as I read that can help. I also tried to massage her crop gently. But it doesn't seem to have done anything, the crop is still golfball sized, maybe a little more squishy than it was this morning.

The thing that's worrying me the most though is that the skin on her crop is very, very red and inflamed. I haven't seen this linked to impacted crop on any of the articles I've read about it so I'm wondering if something else might be going on?
Can you post some photos?
I would give her the oil, massage well before roosting and re-check in the morning.

Is she scratching the skin on her crop? The skin may be red due to something else, photos may be helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Can you post some photos?
I would give her the oil, massage well before roosting and re-check in the morning.

Is she scratching the skin on her crop? The skin may be red due to something else, photos may be helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Thanks so much for your reply. I will read these articles in depth soon. I came home after work and gave her more oil and massaged her for as long as she'd let me. The crop feels squishy now, not hard like this morning but is still very very red. I have attached photos.

I havent noticed her scratching at it. She still has her appetite and wanted to gobble down the bread and oil! 20190923_175549.jpg 20190923_175555.jpg

Is it her crop or her belly? Can you get a picture of her standing profile to see if it looks like enlarged crop or a swelling further down?

Be sure to check the links. That first one saved my rooster.

How long have you had this chicken? What kind of roost does she perch on at night? I read someone had a chicken whos belly or chest rubbed against the 2x4 flat-side-up roost causing irritation and feather loss.

Does she get grit every day?

Could other flock members be pecking her there?

Is it her crop or her belly? Can you get a picture of her standing profile to see if it looks like enlarged crop or a swelling further down?

Be sure to check the links. That first one saved my rooster.

How long have you had this chicken? What kind of roost does she perch on at night? I read someone had a chicken whos belly or chest rubbed against the 2x4 flat-side-up roost causing irritation and feather loss.

Does she get grit every day?

Could other flock members be pecking her there?

I'll take some pictures of her standing tomorrow morning. I'm quite sure it's her crop, but it could be her belly. We're new to chickens so still learning! What's the best way to tell if it's her belly?

Her roost is pretty much a 2x4, so I wonder if it could be that? That might explain the other chicken with feather loss. We have 6 though, and it's only the 2 orpingtons that have lost feathers on their front.

We mix grit in with their food which they get everyday. And I don't think the others would be pecking her as she's the boss.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will read these articles in depth soon. I came home after work and gave her more oil and massaged her for as long as she'd let me. The crop feels squishy now, not hard like this morning but is still very very red. I have attached photos.

I havent noticed her scratching at it. She still has her appetite and wanted to gobble down the bread and oil! View attachment 1915509 View attachment 1915510
That is quite red, has she been broody at all?
@azygous

Well the thing I read about the 2x4 was saying that when they sleep the chest or belly area covers their feet to keep them warm but rubs on the edge of the 2x4. Knowing that Orpingtons are larger birds it's something to consider AFTER ruling out all other possible illnesses. I'd sneak a close up peek when they go to bed and are sleeping. See where her body touches the roost.

I built a large coop and am getting ready to move my girls in. I'm concerned now because I installed this type of roost, actually 5 inches wide.

Whatever is ailing your gal I really hope you are able to fix it. How does the crop feel first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks? Her crop is on her left side of her "bosom"". Below that would feel harder because of the keel bone. Here's a couple diagrams that might help.
20190923_080438.jpg 20190923_080528.jpg 20190923_080634.jpg

That is quite red, has she been broody at all?
@azygous

Nope, she hasn't been broody.
Still looks and feels the same this morning, it feels like a squishy beanbag. I noticed that she has pooped overnight (a great big sloppy one, thanks!!) so at least some food is getting through.
I'm 80% sure it is impacted crop, but the redness is still worrying me. I think I'll have to call a vet.

Back
Top Bottom