Impacted Crop or Sour Crop?

Store brand or Ducolax brand is fine - just make sure it's stool softener stimulant free (not a laxative).
I've used stool softener with my birds before without any issues. Every case can be a little different.
The only other thing you could try would be a flush. I think @azygous recommends a molasses flush further in the comment section of her article.
Thanks again WR.

How much Ducolax do you recommend? Disolve part of a tablet in water and then syringe feed?

I also research the molasses flush article!

Thanks again WR.

How much Ducolax do you recommend? Disolve part of a tablet in water and then syringe feed?

I also research the molasses flush article!
I think Carol replied to you too, so read the previous posts LOL

I only give 1 per day for no more than 2-3 days. If nothing is moving after 2 times, then usually it's not going to "work".
The stool softener is a like a gel cap and soft, just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow, it will dissolve in the crop.

Or an Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) flush. It will really scrub out a chicken's digestive tract. I recommend going the full one teaspoon of the salts mixed into half cup warm water tubed into the crop twice a day for three days. After that, if the chicken remains impacted, there is some organic reason for it.

Thanks azygous!

Would the half cup with a full teaspoon also apply to a bantam hen?

I think Carol replied to you too, so read the previous posts LOL

I only give 1 per day for no more than 2-3 days. If nothing is moving after 2 times, then usually it's not going to "work".
The stool softener is a like a gel cap and soft, just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow, it will dissolve in the crop.
I will give this a try first...Thanks again WR - and azygous!

I will research her article tonight. What is the approximate size of one of those Ducolax gels? I'm not used to working on little chickens. lol.
They are not too big. She should handle it fine. I've given those to a 4 month old Gamefowl before.
Some hens are good at spitting/shooting pills out, so get ready to catch LOL

Yes, one teaspoon is necessary. The one teaspoon of magnesium sulfate salts can be mixed with as little as one ounce of water for a one time treatment. Or as much as one teaspoon in half a cup of water for the duration I recommended.

The smaller amount can probably be given to the chicken to drink on her own. The larger amounts are more easily administered by inserting a tub into the esophagus and then syringing the mixture directly into the crop.

I've done the larger solution amount and my patient tolerated it extremely well, even to the point of being energized by it and appearing to feel much better immediately afterward in spite of it not having had time for any effect on the digestive tract yet.

They are not too big. She should handle it fine. I've given those to a 4 month old Gamefowl before.
Some hens are good at spitting/shooting pills out, so get ready to catch LOL

This is very good to hear. LOL. I've gotten used to giving my broiler a 100 mg gel cap Doxycycline...That's a big pill. And they're pretty big and they get sticky when they get into the chicken's mouth. Many times it would have been problem free if the damn pill didn't get sticky. LOL

Yes, one teaspoon is necessary. The one teaspoon of magnesium sulfate salts can be mixed with as little as one ounce of water for a one time treatment. Or as much as one teaspoon in half a cup of water for the duration I recommended.

The smaller amount can probably be given to the chicken to drink on her own. The larger amounts are more easily administered by inserting a tub into the esophagus and then syringing the mixture directly into the crop.

I've done the larger solution amount and my patient tolerated it extremely well, even to the point of being energized by it and appearing to feel much better immediately afterward in spite of it not having had time for any effect on the digestive tract yet.
Thanks again azygous! I like the idea of trying it (at least at first) as water that she can drink on her own... If needed, I can try the more aggressive tube feeding... I'd rather not on this old bird, but if I need to I need to....

Back
Top Bottom