Impacted crop to ... doughy or squishy crop?

Apologies for crashing the thread. I didn't want to start a new thread while this one was active.
I have a hen called Fudge who is suffering from what is currently slow crop. She has developed this condition in the last three days. I know I'm about right with the time because her tribe got crop checked last weekend.
She has recently finished her moult during which she went off the commercial feed and ate mainly what she could forage. She's a free range hen.

Currently I'm worming her with Flubenvet and treating for possible coccidiosis with coccivex.
There is no odour from her throat.
She has always had a prominant crop which is prone to being pendulous once full.
Her posture when not aware she is being studied is similar to what one sees when a hen has coccidiosis.
She is quite a reserved hen normally but during the moult and since she is less inclined to mix with her tribe.
She will eat: I've been feeding her tinned cod in olive oil and walnuts and today I started giving her live yogurt.

The problem is not improving and I'm looking at the next options.
While I don't think she has full on sour crop yet; no vomiting of solids, or liquids even after being tube fed water, I want to nip this in the bud if possible.
I'm in Spain and many of the brand names are not availible here.
Monistat for example isn't availible here.
I haven't been able to find acidifeid copper sulphate yet.

The active ingredient in Monistat is Miconazole.
Will Fluconazole give the same result?
Any other suggestions for anti yeast treatment?

He was getting better then started back sliding. I’ve been doing everything in my power lately to help him. Today his comb has puffed up some & has started to turn red. He’s very perky today so I hope he’s on the road to recovery for sure now. 🤞🏼Thank you for asking! How is yours doing??
Good to hear you are seeing signs of recovery!
Mine is doing well! Back with the flock and empty crop every morning.
She is wearing the bra right now, to make sure everything goes through a but better.

Apologies for crashing the thread. I didn't want to start a new thread while this one was active.
I have a hen called Fudge who is suffering from what is currently slow crop. She has developed this condition in the last three days. I know I'm about right with the time because her tribe got crop checked last weekend.
She has recently finished her moult during which she went off the commercial feed and ate mainly what she could forage. She's a free range hen.

Currently I'm worming her with Flubenvet and treating for possible coccidiosis with coccivex.
She has always had a prominant crop which is prone to being pendulous once full.
Her posture when not aware she is being studied is similar to what one sees when a hen has coccidiosis.
She is quite a reserved hen normally but during the moult and since she is less inclined to mix with her tribe.
She will eat: I've been feeding her tinned cod in olive oil and walnuts and today I started giving her live yogurt.

While I don't think she has full on sour crop yet; no vomiting of solids, or liquids even after being tube fed water, I want to nip this in the bud if possible.

I don’t know the answer to that, I am a beginner, but I hope one of the experts will come on and give you advice. I would think if the medication comes in a cream or suppository form and has the same active ingredient (Miconazole), it should work, but as I said I am a newbie.
My hen never did have a sour smell coming from her, but the anti fungal treatment is what helped her empy her crop.
Good luck with Fudge!

Good to hear you are seeing signs of recovery!
Mine is doing well! Back with the flock and empty crop every morning.
She is wearing the bra right now, to make sure everything goes through a but better.
That is awesome! Happy she got over that mess! Did you order the crop bra or make it? I’ve made 2 of them but they are so annoying & always end up underneath him where it doesn’t belong.

You should be able to use Fluconazole for sour crop. Dosing is in the link below.
A crop bra may speed up recovery time if it's pendulous too. Since she's free range, maybe place it on her at night? Just a thought on the bra.
Shad is/was she laying? I know she's coming out of molt, but every single hen I've had with a crop issue also had reproductive problems.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...in-nystatin-no-℞-needed.1258934/post-23502140

You should be able to use Fluconazole for sour crop. Dosing is in the link below.
A crop bra may speed up recovery time if it's pendulous too. Since she's free range, maybe place it on her at night? Just a thought on the bra.
Shad is/was she laying? I know she's coming out of molt, but every single hen I've had with a crop issue also had reproductive problems.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-candida-yeast-with-medistatin-nystatin-no-℞-needed.1258934/post-23502140
None of the hens are laying atm and haven't been for over a month. It's getting into winter here and they usually stop laying late October unless they were late season pullets.
I'm not exactly sure when she stopped laying this year.
She's an every other day layer when laying. She's four years old and hardly a high production hen given she lays around 130 eggs a year so reproductive tract problems are possible, but not on my first choice list atm.
This is what she looks like when fit. You can see that he crop is quite full and protrudes a bit more than usual.
P4011446.JPG

This is what she looks like now when alert.
PB280171.JPG

This is what she looks like when relaxed/not alert. This look is not the look of a well hen ime.
PB280172.JPG

I've not had to deal with slow, or sour crop before. I have dealt with impacted crop a couple of times, once with a dying hen with reproductive problems and once with a rescue hen that ate too much vegetation not being used to free ranging.
So, sorry about all the poop pics.
This was the hen with the reproductive tract problems with her family shortly before I had to put her out of her misery. She was between 11 and 12 years old.
It should be clear from the picture that she is the blond hen at the front of the group.
P4191502.JPG

This is what her poop looked like in the last couple of weeks of her life. The colours were a bit brighter than the camera shows, particularly the greens.
P3101439.JPG

These are pictures of Fudge's poop this morning.
PB280164.JPG

PB280166.JPG

PB280174.JPG

Yesterday there was a lot more water and less solids. The two middle pics are cecal poop mostly.
As I mentioned above I'm treating her with Flubenvet (Flubendazole) and Coccivex (Amprolium)
She's getting 0.2ml of coccivex which is about right for a hen weighing 1.63kg.
She's gettting 0.25 mg of Flubenvet which is a higher dose than usual. Flubenvet at higher dosages tends to give diarrhea which may be helpful here.
So, until the course of Flubenvet and Coccivex are finished (7 days) she needs to eat. If things haven't improved by then, I can then consider anti yeast treatment.
Apparently it is not wise to mix Flucanozole with the current meds.
I would take her to the vet but she's off with Covid.:(

Attachments

• PB280169.JPG
    PB280169.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
None of the hens are laying atm and haven't been for over a month. It's getting into winter here and they usually stop laying late October unless they were late season pullets.
I'm not exactly sure when she stopped laying this year.
She's an every other day layer when laying. She's four years old and hardly a high production hen given she lays around 130 eggs a year so reproductive tract problems are possible, but not on my first choice list atm.
This is what she looks like when fit. You can see that he crop is quite full and protrudes a bit more than usual.
View attachment 2428305

This is what she looks like now when alert.
View attachment 2428311

This is what she looks like when relaxed/not alert. This look is not the look of a well hen ime.
View attachment 2428312

I've not had to deal with slow, or sour crop before. I have dealt with impacted crop a couple of times, once with a dying hen with reproductive problems and once with a rescue hen that ate too much vegetation not being used to free ranging.
So, sorry about all the poop pics.
This was the hen with the reproductive tract problems with her family shortly before I had to put her out of her misery. She was between 11 and 12 years old.
It should be clear from the picture that she is the blond hen at the front of the group.
View attachment 2428315
This is what her poop looked like in the last couple of weeks of her life. The colours were a bit brighter than the camera shows, particularly the greens.
View attachment 2428316

These are pictures of Fudge's poop this morning.
View attachment 2428320
View attachment 2428321
View attachment 2428323

Yesterday there was a lot more water and less solids. The two middle pics are cecal poop mostly.
As I mentioned above I'm treating her with Flubenvet (Flubendazole) and Coccivex (Amprolium)
She's getting 0.2ml of coccivex which is about right for a hen weighing 1.63kg.
She's gettting 0.25 mg of Flubenvet which is a higher dose than usual. Flubenvet at higher dosages tends to give diarrhea which may be helpful here.
So, until the course of Flubenvet and Coccivex are finished (7 days) she needs to eat. If things haven't improved by then, I can then consider anti yeast treatment.
Apparently it is not wise to mix Flucanozole with the current meds.
I would take her to the vet but she's off with Covid.:(
Sounds like you are track of what I would do.
Only thing is I can get OTC Miconazole or Clotrimazole creams, so I do use those along with Amprolium and a dewormer (IF I think deworming is needed/Valbazen).

Since you need to wait on anti-yeast medication because of the other meds, I would be inclined to give a bit of coconut oil which may help with yeast.

I'm sure that Carol (@azygous ) will chime in soon too!

It's a bit tricky when you have several possible crop disorders going on. The dilemma is what to decide to treat first. I agree with @Wyorp Rock to treat for impacted crop first to try to open things up and get them moving. That will help when you finally are able to treat for yeast.

This seems logical to me if you consider which is more likely to kill the chicken first, impacted digestive tract or yeast.

Sounds like you are track of what I would do.
Only thing is I can get OTC Miconazole or Clotrimazole creams, so I do use those along with Amprolium and a dewormer (IF I think deworming is needed/Valbazen).

Since you need to wait on anti-yeast medication because of the other meds, I would be inclined to give a bit of coconut oil which may help with yeast.

I'm sure that Carol (@azygous ) will chime in soon too!
She is the only hen here that I know of that wont eat cocconut oil.:he I've tried freezing it in little lumps but she just wont have it.
I did tube feed about a teaspoonful into her on day one and massaged her crop every 3 hours in 12. She's a nightmare to tube feed.
I've got ducolax stool softner coming from the UK. Can't get that here either and while I'm sure there is a Spanish equivalent I haven't managed to get the chemist to understand the difference between one with laxative and alcohol and one without.

Back
Top Bottom