Impacted crop to ... doughy or squishy crop?

It's a bit tricky when you have several possible crop disorders going on. The dilemma is what to decide to treat first. I agree with @Wyorp Rock to treat for impacted crop first to try to open things up and get them moving. That will help when you finally are able to treat for yeast.

This seems logical to me if you consider which is more likely to kill the chicken first, impacted digestive tract or yeast.
I'm pretty sure it's not an impacted crop. It isn't hard. Depending on what she's eaten, it varies from soft squidgy to dough squidgy.
Food and liquids are moving through her. She's pooped maybe a dozen times today.
I broke all the lockdown rules and went to the nearest town and bought live yogurt. She's had 100 ml and late this afternoon her poop had white urates showing and was more solid. Just not enough of it.
I'm begining to think there may be a gizzard problem.

She is the only hen here that I know of that wont eat cocconut oil.:he I've tried freezing it in little lumps but she just wont have it.
I did tube feed about a teaspoonful into her on day one and massaged her crop every 3 hours in 12. She's a nightmare to tube feed.
I've got ducolax stool softner coming from the UK. Can't get that here either and while I'm sure there is a Spanish equivalent I haven't managed to get the chemist to understand the difference between one with laxative and alcohol and one without.
LOL Well, you have to have ONE that's a pita, if not what's the fun in it all :D

Applesauce or molasses also act as laxative, but I've found the stool softener actually seems to help break things up a bit - could be my imagination. All I do know is I've followed Carol's instructions several times with success. While I knew there was an underlying condition that was causing the crop issues and the hens were on borrowed time, they did feel better for a while.

Two days ago.
PB280164.JPG

This morning.
PB290191.JPG

Crop not nearly as full as it has been. I squidgy ball still there.

Fudge's crop has now been empty two mornings in a row.
She has two more days of Flubenvet and Coccivex to go with morning crop massages and 10cl yogurt dosage.
The witch down the track here made a brew out of Thyme, Garlic, Lemon juice, a root extract I don't know the name of, Liqorice root and something else I've forgotton.
I gave this to Fudge warm, about ewes milk temp, late two nights ago and it seems to have cleared everything out.
Fudge is eating commercial feed again, foraging with her tribe and even more encouraging, grooming again.

Fudge's crop has now been empty two mornings in a row.
She has two more days of Flubenvet and Coccivex to go with morning crop massages and 10cl yogurt dosage.
The witch down the track here made a brew out of Thyme, Garlic, Lemon juice, a root extract I don't know the name of, Liqorice root and something else I've forgotton.
I gave this to Fudge warm, about ewes milk temp, late two nights ago and it seems to have cleared everything out.
Fudge is eating commercial feed again, foraging with her tribe and even more encouraging, grooming again.
So glad to hear that!!!

Really? A witch?
That's what they call her.
She is rather lovely and very highly respected here. Before doctors and modern medical practices arrived here she dealt with many of the sick here and acted as the local midwife. This is rural Catalonia bear in mind. It didn't change much until after Franco.
She is I suppose what some would call a herbalist these days. She has lived on this mountain all her life (she 80 something now). She knows more about the plants and trees that grow here than any other person I've met. She still walks in the woods here collecting herbs and roots with her only slightly younger friend.

Since the end of her treatment (Coccivex for coccidiosis and Flubenol worming)
I've checked Fudge's crop every night and every morning since. She's eating like a horse, her crop is empty every morning and she looks a different hen.
Here she is. She just popped in for another fill up.
PC240309.JPG

Since the end of her treatment (Coccivex for coccidiosis and Flubenol worming)
I've checked Fudge's crop every night and every morning since. She's eating like a horse, her crop is empty every morning and she looks a different hen.
Here she is. She just popped in for another fill up.
View attachment 2462255
Yay!!!!
My gal is doing good too! Crop check ok every morning. Eating like a horse.

Back
Top Bottom