impacted crop - unsure what to do now

carlaashdown

Songster
Jul 9, 2021
SE Georgia, USA
8 month old Sapphire Gem hen. Day 3 of known crop impaction, possible has been going on longer.

She has been inside my house for over 48 hours now, separated from her flock. They have a big 10x12 house and a 10x20 covered run, so no chance of her eating anything big, hardware, glass, plastic, or anything else. It feels like it is just a lot of grit in there at this point.

Crop is about golf ball sized now, maybe a little smaller (was huge to start with). It's rock hard, will soften completely when I massage it (hourly), then gets hard again. When it's softened, it feels like it's full of grit - kind of like a stress ball.

Other than not wanting to eat or drink yesterday and today, she seems to feel fine. She is her normal talkative self, moving around the bathroom, very sweet. She is very social, and I'm sure she would rather be out in the coop/run with her flock.

I'm certain she needs lots of water to flush that grit through.

Suggestions? Anything else I should do besides massage hourly and give water by syringe to move the grit through?

Last edited:
Have you tried giving her some mineral oil? I’ve heard that it helps move things along. When one of my Wyandottes had a crop impaction, we tried everything possible but one thing- surgery. We made a little incision through her skin, to her crop (didn’t seem to hurt her in any way, plus we were trying to save her life as she was just skin and bones by this point) and drained everything out, flushed it with warm water and sutured it back up. Gave her scrambled eggs, mineral oil and a little bit of chick starter feed to help gain weight.

38835CBC-7BCE-4324-8F31-B1A4C672DE8A.jpeg

8F1A3E86-E8BF-4BD1-8253-77B085822B7E.jpeg

She did marvelous! Recovered within 2-3 weeks without an issue. However, I do not recommend doing this surgery, unless you know what you’re doing.

0F509003-F9A6-492D-9552-6A958A6EC1B3.jpeg

I don’t have any new or recent pictures of her, but she’s thriving, happy and healthy with her flock members! We named her Delilah. Her crop and skin are fully healed as if nothing ever happened to her!

Have you tried giving her some mineral oil? I’ve heard that it helps move things along. When one of my Wyandottes had a crop impaction, we tried everything possible but one thing- surgery. We made a little incision through her skin, to her crop (didn’t seem to hurt her in any way, plus we were trying to save her life as she was just skin and bones by this point) and drained everything out, flushed it with warm water and sutured it back up. Gave her scrambled eggs, mineral oil and a little bit of chick starter feed to help gain weight.

View attachment 2893251

View attachment 2893259

She did marvelous! Recovered within 2-3 weeks without an issue. However, I do not recommend doing this surgery, unless you know what you’re doing.

View attachment 2893250

I don’t have any new or recent pictures of her, but she’s thriving, happy and healthy with her flock members! We named her Delilah. Her crop and skin are fully healed as if nothing ever happened to her!

I'm so glad you were able to save your girl. She looks so pitiful here. Poor baby!

I've not done mineral oil - but I've given her coconut oil (both solid and liquid) and olive oil.

It's reduced in size significantly over the last three days. Just left with what I think is mostly grit in there - a little smaller than a golf ball.
She's been eating and drinking this afternoon. Thankfully. I've been massaging every hour or so. Going to give more oil before bed (by syringe) and raw egg if she will eat it. Hopefully will have more improvement by morning.

She seems to feel fine.

She needs fluids for sure.
Read the article below to see about treatment options. You may need to end up giving her a flush, but I would first try coconut oil and 1 stool softener to see if that gets things moving.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for replying! I've read a ton of posts on it, including that one, and have dealt with both personally before.

I've done the coconut oil, raw egg, stool softener, yogurt mixed with coconut oil and AVC, etc. already. It was HUGE to start with - bigger than my hand - and those treatments got it down to the size it is now. I've still been trying them, but she isn't interested now and won't eat them. I got a little applesauce with pineapple juice in her this morning, because she had some bubbling/sizzling yesterday (none today) when her crop was bigger and squishy. Today, no signs of sour crop. All we have left is the crop full of grit.

I'm still massaging hourly or so and giving water by syringe.

I have little bowls of water, small chunks of coconut oil , raw scrambled egg, and the applesauce mixture all out free choice for her. Just in case she decides to eat something on her own.

Well, she's trying to make a liar out of me. I decided to just put a little bit of her crumble feed out for her. She immediately ate it, drank a bunch of water, pooped, and is walking around talking and happy. Crop is a lot more pliable with the food and water in it. *fingers crossed* this helps the grit move out.

I'd like to put her back out with her flock where she would be happier. But I suppose I should keep her inside another night to be sure she doesn't eat more grit or sand.

It's rock hard, will soften completely when I massage it (hourly), then gets hard again. When it's softened, it feels like it's full of grit - kind of like a stress ball.
She needs fluids for sure.
Read the article below to see about treatment options. You may need to end up giving her a flush, but I would first try coconut oil and 1 stool softener to see if that gets things moving.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Well, she's trying to make a liar out of me. I decided to just put a little bit of her crumble feed out for her. She immediately ate it, drank a bunch of water, pooped, and is walking around talking and happy. Crop is a lot more pliable with the food and water in it. *fingers crossed* this helps the grit move out.

I'd like to put her back out with her flock where she would be happier. But I suppose I should keep her inside another night to be sure she doesn't eat more grit or sand.
I usually leave mine with the flock during treatment, they do seem much happier that way.

Hopefully you will see more improvement in the morning.

View attachment 2893251

View attachment 2893259

View attachment 2893250

Hi, I have a cockerel with what feels like a grass or straw impaction. Crop was huge & squishy at first. I massaged & turned upside down, got a lot of liquid out. Didn't smell sour yet. Withheld food & water overnight & size went down substantially, enabling me to feel the matted up grass/straw about the size of an Oreo.
Now on 3rd day. Doing the mineral oil. Giving egg yolk and a little yogurt.
I don't believe this is going to break down enough to pass. I've gotten all the things recommended for surgical removal. Is it time?

Hi, I have a cockerel with what feels like a grass or straw impaction. Crop was huge & squishy at first. I massaged & turned upside down, got a lot of liquid out. Didn't smell sour yet. Withheld food & water overnight & size went down substantially, enabling me to feel the matted up grass/straw about the size of an Oreo.
I don't believe this is going to break down enough to pass. I've gotten all the things recommended for surgical removal. Is it time?
If it’s the last resort, then yes or else he’ll pass away from starving.

Your thread is here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-impaction-surgery.1500958/

Back
Top Bottom