Impacted Crop?

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
We got Peep again Sunday, anyways, today she had a slight gurgle when she breathed. She started bad when I checked a cut on her foot. She sat down on her recent egg after I put her back. When I squeezed her crop slightly I heard water.

Ideas?

Can you give us some more information? Specifically:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She is a year old RSL. Normal weight compared to other chickens.

She is active, although when she eats makes gurgle noises. Sits down on her coop when she thinks I'm not with her.

I noticed this yesterday.

My other birds are normal as of this morning

Not injures as far as I know

Since she had little food water at her old place, she might have over eaten

She drinks more then she eats. When she did eat last yesterday she was eating Du'mor layer pellets

Her poop is a bit runny

No treatment, since I'm not sure what it is. Although with crop issues it says getting the chickens to throw up removed crop pressure (she had a large crop full of water) she threw up oatmeal looking stuff that might have once been layer pellets

I can probably treat her myself, although depends to the extent of the issue

She is on straw bedding, but b4 was on a wood shaving type thing for a short period

Her crop isn't hard so it's not impacted, bit it's squishy and not smelly so It doesn't seem sour. She has a slight gurgle but her eyes are bright and her nose is clean

I will check her when I get home. Thanks for the links.

I haven't had many sick chickens before, but recently had one hen that kept a puffy crop full of air that would gurgle when massaged and would get smaller at times. The only food she ate for 1 month was part of a scrambled egg twice a day. She died recently, and I think she may have been an internal layer or had a gizzard blockage. They can have these slow crops as an extra symptom of many other diseases--Mareks and cocci are just a few.

I haven't had many sick chickens before, but recently had one hen that kept a puffy crop full of air that would gurgle when massaged and would get smaller at times.  The only food she ate for 1 month was part of a scrambled egg twice a day.  She died recently, and I think she may have been an internal layer or had a gizzard blockage.  They can have these slow crops as an extra symptom of many other diseases--Mareks and cocci are just a few.

So she could die?

Last edited:
Should I feed her mashed up foods? She isn't gurgling as bad. I will keep feeding her soft foods, but she wants to eat everything.

Back
Top Bottom