Impacted CROP!

Thank you so much for the advise. I have wormed her, she had a full course of flagyl and anti yeast cream. Now probiotic powder over her foods. But has total nasty 98% water poo with small flecks of dark stuff. I have had a time finding Corid. Its on the way from amazon. Mean while a goat friend is giving me stuff for cocci today. Its crazy because she is markably better, but poo is not at all normal. The full hard feeling crop first in the morning really concerened me. But when relaxed it has softened up twice. So I'm gonna try the corid and do just that if she has bacteria issues my vet can likely stumble through it with me. My gut feeling are usally spot on, and I'm not feeling like exploring the inside of her crop will help. So crossing my fingers the corid makes a stool change, and I'm just paranoid about her crop.

When the crop muscle works against the crop it feels firm. Might be what you are feeling.

That is what I was thinking. I got the Corid from my friend today. Is it safe to use in the 10 day worming time frame? I had wormed the rest of the flock with valbanez about 5 days ago

That is what I was thinking. I got the Corid from my friend today. Is it safe to use in the 10 day worming time frame? I had wormed the rest of the flock with valbanez about 5 days ago

I don't think it will cause problems. Corid is just a thiamine blocker. After treating her with it, you might put some vit/min supplements and probiotic in the water for a few days. Don't add it while treating though! The parasite thrives on thiamine so you don't want to add vitamins when trying to kill the parasite.

Got it! I filled her water pail with the mix and then scoped some water in bowl with chips of cucumber. She drank almost all of that about a ounce or so. I want to put the lower dose for prevention in the rest of the flocks water incase she drinks from it while out roaming. She doesn't really stay with them, but could accsess their water. However I'm mid way through worming them. Will the corrid be safe for them even though I have to redose the valbanez in 5 days?

Water is the key in treating slop crops. Tube 15 ml per pound several time a day and I think you see an improvement.

-Kathy

We have a game that I play to get her to drink. Set her in my lap, get a small bowl of water and use a large eye dropper to drip water. She chases the drops and drinks for me. I had no idea where Id even try to find supplies to tube feed in time when she first fell I'll. And was scared Id asperate her if I forced her to drink. To force feed Id pull down her waddle and scoop some wet mash in her mouth. It was time consuming, but worked. I will continue to make sure she is drinking!

We have a game that I play to get her to drink. Set her in my lap, get a small bowl of water and use a large eye dropper to drip water. She chases the drops and drinks for me. I had no idea where Id even try to find supplies to tube feed in time when she first fell I'll. And was scared Id asperate her if I forced her to drink. To force feed Id pull down her waddle and scoop some wet mash in her mouth. It was time consuming, but worked. I will continue to make sure she is drinking!
It's not about just drinking, it's about getting enough fluid into her food filled crop to break it up, and that amount is about 60ml (2 ounces) for most hens, and it needs to be done several times a day.

Go to petsmart, buy 16" of aquarium airline, then go to Tractor Supply and buy a 60ml syringe. Modify the end of the tube by melting it with a lighter to make it smooth enough, then send me a PM with your number and I'll call you and explain how to do it.

-Kathy

Hmm no pet store, but have a walmart with a small fish section. Have tractor supply finally. Will PM you

I don't think you are dealing with a blocked crop. If it was blocked, it would be growing larger(not just golfball size), rarely if ever go down and you would feel a mass in there. If she is blocked lower than the crop, you would see a crop backing up. You aren't seeing that from what you said. Have you caged her and taken her food and water away at night, then checked her first thing in the morning? What's it like in the morning? Still golfball size? Or fluid filled? Can you feel a lump in there? Fungal infections in the lower track can also cause some of the symptoms you are seeing, the loose stools, no appetite (a blocked bird would be hungry), squisy crop.
Does she seem to drink normally?
Finish your wormer and Corid routine. Yes, you can do them both, I don't see the harm, I did both with mine. If that doesn't work and you can rule out a blockage, you may have to consider bacterial or fungal treatments. Sometimes fungal infections are just difficult to treat. Vent gleet, if left ignored for some time, can be impossible to correct from what I have read.

Back
Top Bottom