Impacted/sour crop... UPDATE 9-27-08

Awe...sorry to hear you've got one that's under the weather. She does sorta look sad in the face. Hope it's nothing serious.

I've made posts that didn't get answered for days, so I know how you feel when you're needing help! Wish I had some wise words for you on your girl...sounds like you're doing all you can for now. Please keep us posted!
smile.png

thanks Wynette. I know it will be hit or miss if I get answers.

She is outside in a dog crate now, in view of the other chickens. She is acting pretty much the same as before. poor girl.

I might get more answers tonight. The forums are busier at night.

I am thinking it is her crop now. She is still blah and it is nearly 6pm. I may have to decide if I want to cut her open or what at this point. Might not be able to do it until Friday. I hope that won't be too late.

I'm going to try Yogurt tomorrow.

Look at what else I found online....

live, undyed fishing maggots in the probiotic yoghurt are good for sourcrop.
They wriggle around to shift the compaction, dragging the yoghurt deep into the mass with them.
Gross but effective

Well, her crop did not totally empty last night. It has been about 13 hours or so since she last ate. She seems a little blah today.

The crop is still mushy.
She is pooping solid.. well, mushy.
But I don't think she is drinking.
Her breath does not stink any more.
I gave her some yogurt and spinach this am.

I will be gone most all of today.
and I have not started any antibiotics yet.

wondering if I should flush her crop.

any thoughts on this? I will check back from work.

I used an epsom salt flush for my girl with great success. It really got the system going and cleaned it out well. I used a syringe and would give 1-2ccs at a time a couple times a day. She didnt like it much but when she pooped, boy did she poop, lol. Really seemed to loosen things up.

I'm glad to hear that, fishermom. Friends who have always kept chickens give theirs cut grass, so we did too-- briefly. Until one got an impacted crop.
Turns out it was pine shavings, but still, most people here don't recommend giving cut grass to chickens because they gobble it down too quickly and it can ball up and fester. Thank goodness for Backyardchickens.com and all of the good people here!
Renee

Back
Top Bottom