Impossible to find tree.

Make sure the tree is hardy/zoned for your area or it may not survive. It may not be a native to your area and that is why you cant find it locally.

I have a mulberry tree at least 200 yds from the house and the chickens absolutely love it (berries)!! I don't have issues with it since it is far enough away from the house.

Henry'schickens :

Make sure the tree is hardy/zoned for your area or it may not survive. It may not be a native to your area and that is why you cant find it locally.

I have a mulberry tree at least 200 yds from the house and the chickens absolutely love it (berries)!! I don't have issues with it since it is far enough away from the house.

Honestly, I hadn't really thought about that. I made the silly mistake of assuming. Just because red mulberries are native, doesn't mean that another variety will be hardy for the area. Fortunately, I just checked, and it's hardy all the way up to zone 4 (we're 5). Thanks a million for that input, I'm glad I didn't end up spending a small fortune on a tree and end up killing it, lol.
Fancbrd - yup, that's part of the reason that I wanted the weeper. It's supposed to get I think 8ish feet tall if in the ground or 6ish feet tall if in a large pot. That will make it MUCH easier for harvesting mulberries and leaves, plus it won't be a big deal if I net it.​

Quote:
Nope, I'm definately stuck on the mulberry. I'll have no substitutes. If worst comes to worse, I'll net it. Either way, I must have a mulberry bush.

In our neck of the woods, these are grafted trees and are fruitless. They are beautiful.

Quote:
Yea, here's the link to the page that has the weeping mulberry at raintree; http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=MULB
Raintree is a fantastic nursery! I have never been disappointed with anything I've bought from them (and, trust me, I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years)! Plus they have great prices!
woot.gif

Oh, and it's the male tree that folks are allergic to not the female. I doubt you would need to plant a male tree for fruit since there are so many of them around already. A mulberry tree just needs to be planted well away from patios and walkways etc to avoid the problems with staining. Put in the right place a mulberry is a wonderful tree!

Last edited:
I am getting seedlings this spring,but I think mine are red mulberry. My friend has a huge mulberry tree in her back yard and her mulberry wine is great. Hope you get some good trees!

Back
Top Bottom