<IMPROVEMENT-UPDATE> Check out the PVC grit feeder I made!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mudhen, Apr 23, 2007.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Got the idea from a picture in Practical Poultry this month and made it with PVC scraps (except the elbow joint) I had buried in the workshop.
    I'm going to make a second one for oyster shell and put it next to this one.
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry about the odd angle, hard to take a picture in a 4x4 coop! [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Ooooh- that looks great! I am so gonna steal the idea!!

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Good idea! I'll have to get the DH to make a couple of those....

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, thats a great idea! I WANT ONE!! LOL
    Thanks for the idea.....gonna make a few over the next few days, rain rain rain!!

5. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Is the bottom feeder portion at an angle or is it straight against the ground?

6. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    That's neat!

Where did you get that 'top' for your feeder i see in the background?

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I've been totally planning to make one of those. The only difference is going to be a 45 degree angle piece that goes through a wall that will allow me to fill the feeder from outside the coop.

Here's the ugly but functional one I made when I first got my girls. It was suppose to be temporary until I had time to make a newer / nicer one... that was 2 years ago [​IMG]

The idea was to store a lot of feed, but to have the footprint of the feeder be very small. From the bottom up:

mason jar feeder on the bottom
    then a peanut butter jar
    another larger pb jar
    AC conduit
    1 gallon plastic bottle w/ lid:

[​IMG]

Oh... there is a pie tin underneath the feeder to catch the stuff they "bill" out of it.

I know... very ugly (but super functional!).

Thanks mudhen for re-inspiring me to clean up my ugly feeder! [​IMG]

8. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Rob I love it lmao I need to do that one.... all I have is junk laying around anyways lol....;

Hey keep track on exactly how long it lasts ok...

could give yourself a prize for the longest lasting ghetto feeder award.

(ghetto- anything made from junk that works.)

Arklady:lol:

9. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'm glad everyone likes it. [​IMG] When I saw it, I thought it was just so cool and, best of all, something I could do myself too, so by all means, totally steal the idea!
    I'm going to add covers by trying to modify some 3" caps for the tops to keep any bugs (and/or poop) out!

Varisha , the elbow is 90 degrees, so the thing is L-shaped. I have it up about 8 inches from the ground.

nikkimay It's actually a squirrel baffle for a bird feeder. I got tired of trying to make my own from pie tins and could never find anything wide enough to keep the hens from either trying to perch on the feeder and waterer and pooping in both. So I invested in these clear plastic baffles which not only you can see through, but can be washed easier than pie tins or plastic tops. Check anyplace that sells wildbird feed/supplies. I got mine online via ebay ( [​IMG] where I get just about everything! )

10. mudhen

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Nifty-Chicken, don't you just love duct tape!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Actually, I really like the idea you have for the feeder. I would love to do your idea and have the top outside the coop to fill the feeder. [​IMG]
    The AC duct, is that a prefab cone shape or something you made that way?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by