<IMPROVEMENT-UPDATE> Check out the PVC grit feeder I made!!

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
Got the idea from a picture in Practical Poultry this month and made it with PVC scraps (except the elbow joint) I had buried in the workshop.
I'm going to make a second one for oyster shell and put it next to this one.
yippiechickie.gif

(Sorry about the odd angle, hard to take a picture in a 4x4 coop!
gig.gif
)

HPIM1196.jpg

Last edited:
I've been totally planning to make one of those. The only difference is going to be a 45 degree angle piece that goes through a wall that will allow me to fill the feeder from outside the coop.

Here's the ugly but functional one I made when I first got my girls. It was suppose to be temporary until I had time to make a newer / nicer one... that was 2 years ago
roll.png

The idea was to store a lot of feed, but to have the footprint of the feeder be very small. From the bottom up:

mason jar feeder on the bottom
then a peanut butter jar
another larger pb jar
AC conduit
1 gallon plastic bottle w/ lid:

feeder1.jpg

Oh... there is a pie tin underneath the feeder to catch the stuff they "bill" out of it.

I know... very ugly (but super functional!).

Thanks mudhen for re-inspiring me to clean up my ugly feeder!
big_smile.png

Rob I love it lmao I need to do that one.... all I have is junk laying around anyways lol....;

Hey keep track on exactly how long it lasts ok...

could give yourself a prize for the longest lasting ghetto feeder award.

(ghetto- anything made from junk that works.)

Arklady:lol:

I'm glad everyone likes it.
clap.gif
When I saw it, I thought it was just so cool and, best of all, something I could do myself too, so by all means, totally steal the idea!
I'm going to add covers by trying to modify some 3" caps for the tops to keep any bugs (and/or poop) out!

Varisha , the elbow is 90 degrees, so the thing is L-shaped. I have it up about 8 inches from the ground.

nikkimay It's actually a squirrel baffle for a bird feeder. I got tired of trying to make my own from pie tins and could never find anything wide enough to keep the hens from either trying to perch on the feeder and waterer and pooping in both. So I invested in these clear plastic baffles which not only you can see through, but can be washed easier than pie tins or plastic tops. Check anyplace that sells wildbird feed/supplies. I got mine online via ebay (
roll.png
where I get just about everything! )

Nifty-Chicken, don't you just love duct tape!!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Actually, I really like the idea you have for the feeder. I would love to do your idea and have the top outside the coop to fill the feeder.
cool.png

The AC duct, is that a prefab cone shape or something you made that way?

Back
Top Bottom