Improving your flock!

Not trying to upset you ebon, but I think you are missing my point. By trying to help these kinds of things out, you are hurting the over all quality of your flock, and it will just get worse as time rolls on.

This is one of the reasons I try very hard never to help a chick hatch. I figure there's a reason it can't hatch on it's own and that isn't a trait I want to continue in my flock.

Quote:
exactly....no need to kill them sheeeesh.
sad.png
that makes me sad u kill them when u can fix them easily....that to me is just being lazy or just plain mean
smack.gif

I agree with the philosophy of not helping them hatch, but my DH always wants to help. In addition to that, it's been hard trying to get a number of certain breeds, so each one has been so valuable to me, that we've tried to help when I'm sure we shouldn't have. This next hatch, I'd like to slap my own hands and my DH's also and not help these chicks out anymore. Its tough, but Cuda, I do agree with your philosophy of a stronger flock. If any of my birds ever comes down with a respiratory infection, they will be humanely culled, never treated with antibiotics. I do not want carriers in my flock, period, if I can help it. Hard as it will be, I have to be strong about that one. All mine are pets, every last one, which would make it all the more difficult.

Quote:
I don't raise just afew birds. I've raised thousands in my life and so have several other folks here. If you have CRD in your chicks you treat it with Tylan, clean your brooder and move on. Once the mycoplasmas are there, they are there. Killing the chick didn't get rid of it. Keep your brooder less dusty and the mycoplasmas won't get irritated therefore turning into CRD. If you don't change the conditions your flock will continue to have problems with CRD. Mycoplasmas are essentially everywhere.

Splayed leg is not considered genetic. Culling this bird won't help either. Splayed legs is usually caused by a bird having improper bedding, or dietary indeficiencies. It can also be caused when an egg didn't develop normal, but it is not generally considered a genetic issue.

Editing to say that I'm not sure that I would go through everything that some folks do to correct splayed leg, but my birds are valuable investments to me and I expect a return, so I do what I can to get something out of them besides just the enjoyment of ownership.

Last edited:
Gwen, I think you are taking my post wrong. What I mean is you keep weak chickens, and you weaken your whole flock. As far as CRD goes, all chickens carry it, but the weak ones are the ones that typically that show symptoms. (I am talking adults mostly here.) When you get one showing symptoms, then it tends to want to spread through your flock. I am NOT trying to tell anyone what to do, or that their way is wrong for them, just trying to explain a proven method to improving the over all health of your entire flock so you don't have as many genetic issues, or consistently have health problems to deal with. Also, not trying to disrespect anyone, but I raise hundreds of birds on my yard every year, so keeping them healthy is very important to me, because I don't have the time to spend with each individual bird. Also, it also makes a difference for me to do this because I raise them to sell, and want to sell only top quality birds, and won't sell anything less. Thanks.

I understand what you are trying to say, but by the same token, if someone wants to take a bit of extraordinary measure to save a chick, whats the harm in adding that bird to your flock? I do understand the "survival of the fittest" theory, and I agree to it. I see no problem in adding a bird to the flock that may have needed some assistance, or isnt perfect....just dont hatch chicks from her. There is absolutely no harm in her producing eggs for the table. That in itself is "culling" from the breeding herd, just not culling from the home flock.

Back
Top Bottom