In ground Duck Pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nayeli, Jan 21, 2014.

1. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I came across the idea of an inground kiddie pool for my dogs a while back and It looked really nice since it was inground and you can landscape around it. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/82261130666241897/[​IMG]

I'm just wondering how hard it would be to clean out. I am guessing with a wet/dry shop vac we could scoop/ vac out dirt/water. Anyone have any clue about the functionality of this?

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    That's a really cool idea. I think it would be hard to clean though. I just use sand boxes and dump weekly but would love one in ground.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Figures it's labs lol

Um, yeah filtration would be a massive problem. I have a small Koi pond and on occasion my ducks "sneak in" to say they make a mess is an understatement and it has a filter. I mainly use troughs for my ducks, i can tip them, scrub 'em and re-fill 'em.

4. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    My pen's going in on a slight slope, so I intend to build a pool into the ground and install a drain with a shutoff valve and hose connection down hill from the pond. I have no idea how successful that will be, but I figure it's worth a shot, and a lot more attractive than a big blue kid pool covered in dirt and poop.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look forward to seeing it when you get it finished.

6. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    A pond filter would certainly help you to keep it clean. Water circulation helps a ton, so a filter will keep the water cleaner. On occasion it will still have to be picked out, but you can do that with a pool skimmer or something of that sort. Just be sure you keep the water moving. If you let a kiddie pool sit there like that, then you are asking for an algae boom!!

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Do the same concept, but build it up so you can install a drain.
    A pump won't keep it clean, but circulating water won't smell as bad and should prevent the algae bloom or keep it away for much longer.

8. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    I have heard about people making a hole and a drain, I'm just not sure how that I would do that. I really prefer the idea of in ground for looks and the fact it will be for both the dogs and the ducks.

9. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    This sounds kind of like what I did. I was remodeling my bathroom and used the old garden tub. I attached tubing onto the drain before setting in the ground. I dug a trench sloped downward for about 15 feet to empty into the creek that runs behind the coop. I then stacked big flat rocks around the tub and outwards to keep the mud down as much as possible. When I need to clean it, I just pull the plug and let it drain then rinse and fill. It's not the prettiest but they love it. It is only in the ground about 8 inches because I hit a root of a really big tree when I was digging and couldn't go any deeper.
    [​IMG]

10. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    @Shannon you could landscape it and make it really beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by