In Memoriam - Open To All

HomesteaderWife

Free Ranging
8 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Alabama
Today, we lost a beautiful Rhode Island Red hen simply named "Big Red" who was one of the sweetest birds I've ever met. She was a good girl, who had the personality of a loyal puppy dog and was once the head of her flock. She's been through illness before, but today it seems heart failure finally took her.

So in her honor, I want to open a memorial thread that's just a simple place to share photos and stories of the chickens, geese, ducks, peafowl, and all those beautiful poultry we've loved and lost. Post a picture, tell your favorite memory, and just remember the good times you've had with those feathered friends.

In homestead spirit, I light a lantern for Big Red. Rest in peace silly bird.
IMG_1111.JPG

010.JPG

I’m so sorry for your loss!

My first loss was Rusty two years ago. It was 114° Labor Day weekend, she had been ill, and that was the end of her. My favorite memory was her sweet, soft “let’s go to bed” night time chirp. She did it every night for the longest time. When she fell ill, I would sneak her live meal worms, since she was barely eating. She also would go running over to the neighbor when he chopped wood to get the grubs that would pop out.

C409B599-6602-4FC8-B5E9-165589998F55.jpeg

My third and last loss was Margo. She was my alpha. Bossy top hen, but a real lovey snuggler with me. She also stood by Rusty’s side when she was sick. Roosted down low with Rusty when she could not get up to a higher roost. She was a true leader. I miss her.

8AA32138-035C-4B12-856A-2BE627D2DA70.jpeg

Attachments

• 960EF8D4-F746-4428-911C-DA543370E55D.jpeg
    960EF8D4-F746-4428-911C-DA543370E55D.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I posted this before but this seems like a more appropriate spot. A few months ago we got some baby chicks from tractor supply. The first few weeks went by fine and nothing really happened. Then they got to the age where they could be out in the coop. I will forever regret that decision. We put them out and they seemed to like it. They had fun in their new house and they loved the new area. So we left them out their overnight. I woke up that morning to find a raccoon had grabbed all of them. Pulled the heads off and left the bodies. Thats when I heard it. The faint peeping under the shed. I ran over and lo and behold there was one survivor. I took her in and did everything I could. She slept in my room with me so I could ensure nothing happened to her. I took her out in the front yard every day and she learned that I was like her papa. She would fly up on my shoulder and stay like that while I worked outside. I would take her on walks like that and I loved her more than anything. Then as she started to grow older my parents didn't want her. What good is a hen when you only have one and aren't getting any eggs they said. That little hen was my heart. So when they told me that we were getting rid of her I wept. I couldn't bear the thought of losing my baby. We gave her to one of our friends who has multiple chickens. I visited as much as I could but without daily interaction she forgot about me. She didn't recognize me or trust me anymore. She wouldn't fly on my shoulder. It was bittersweet. She finally had friends of her own but I now had none. But I suppose it was for the best because a few weeks later the raccoon once again killed the entire chicken population. I wish I never got rid of her. I wish I could still hold her. I still love that little hen and I still cry about her every now and then.

Ive lost quite a few chickens do dogs and other predators but one that really tore me up was the loss of my sweet baby blizzard. She was the sweetest and most gentle chicken I have ever met in my life. She would spend her days roosting up in the coop and just talking to our other hen. That was her favorite thing. She loved it when you would talk to her and shed talk back. She loved it when you read to her and was a excellent mother. When we introduced the chicks to her she took her under her wing and protected them. She would always let them eat first and make sure they were full before she went. Gosh I miss her. I just hope she up in heaven with all of her other chicken friends that we lost.
thumbnail_IMG_3766.jpg

I posted this before but this seems like a more appropriate spot. A few months ago we got some baby chicks from tractor supply. The first few weeks went by fine and nothing really happened. Then they got to the age where they could be out in the coop. I will forever regret that decision. We put them out and they seemed to like it. They had fun in their new house and they loved the new area. So we left them out their overnight. I woke up that morning to find a raccoon had grabbed all of them. Pulled the heads off and left the bodies. Thats when I heard it. The faint peeping under the shed. I ran over and lo and behold there was one survivor. I took her in and did everything I could. She slept in my room with me so I could ensure nothing happened to her. I took her out in the front yard every day and she learned that I was like her papa. She would fly up on my shoulder and stay like that while I worked outside. I would take her on walks like that and I loved her more than anything. Then as she started to grow older my parents didn't want her. What good is a hen when you only have one and aren't getting any eggs they said. That little hen was my heart. So when they told me that we were getting rid of her I wept. I couldn't bear the thought of losing my baby. We gave her to one of our friends who has multiple chickens. I visited as much as I could but without daily interaction she forgot about me. She didn't recognize me or trust me anymore. She wouldn't fly on my shoulder. It was bittersweet. She finally had friends of her own but I now had none. But I suppose it was for the best because a few weeks later the raccoon once again killed the entire chicken population. I wish I never got rid of her. I wish I could still hold her. I still love that little hen and I still cry about her every now and then.

Aww... I’m so sorry. My heart aches for you.

Ive lost quite a few chickens do dogs and other predators but one that really tore me up was the loss of my sweet baby blizzard. She was the sweetest and most gentle chicken I have ever met in my life. She would spend her days roosting up in the coop and just talking to our other hen. That was her favorite thing. She loved it when you would talk to her and shed talk back. She loved it when you read to her and was a excellent mother. When we introduced the chicks to her she took her under her wing and protected them. She would always let them eat first and make sure they were full before she went. Gosh I miss her. I just hope she up in heaven with all of her other chicken friends that we lost.View attachment 1902082

She was beautiful! Mother hens are so special.

Back
Top Bottom