In Memoriam - Open To All

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HomesteaderWife, Sep 7, 2019.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sad to lose any but, very nice to have them remembered in this thread.

BarredRockMom, MROO and Cryss like this.
  2. HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Songster

Apr 24, 2015
    Some people don't understand, but there are the few that do. When you can call an animal "friend" they deserve a memorial. I hope she forgives my portrait skills. :rolleyes:
    IMG_2163.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  3. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think you did a lovely job of depicting her. So sorry for everyone's losses.

4. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    In memory of Penelope. She hatched and raised two amazing batches of naked neck crosses (20 chicks in all). She herself was a D'uccle/Polish cross. I rescued her from a neighbor who was selling her and her 20 siblings to a butcher. She was flighty and did not like being held, but was an amazing chicken. She was such a good mother, in fact that is how she died. My uncle wanted to put in all of the chickens last night, he has several in my flock, and Penelope and her 11 chicks (8 weeks old) had randomly decided to sleep right outside their coop. He, not knowing that 12 birds where missing, closed the coop. In the morning, I found 11 chicks alive and running a muck and a pile of black feathers. Penelope did not let even one of her chicks get eaten. Now I have 11 chicks on my hands, but she has taught them well, and I will do my best to take care of them. I will miss you Penelope, you were a unique and amazing chicken. I will see you one day in heaven

Attached Files:

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How very sad but, Penelope was the best of mothers.:love :hugs

Cryss and BarredRockMom like this.
  6. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Songster

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Omg.look at her face I just love it
    I am so sorry for you loss.
    I bet though she had a nice happy life

7. WickedChicksNH

WickedChicksNH Songster

Oct 2, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Aww I am sorry all for your losses
    Everyone had such lovely ladies and gentlemen.
    I can tell just by reading this thread all these hens and roos lived being very loved

8. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Heartbreaking! I’m sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Penelope.

igorsMistress, Cryss and MROO like this.
  9. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

I think we all loved Margo! We followed her for so long it felt like we knew her, too!

10. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Well, I am very sad to report I had my fourth loss today. Beautiful Bagheera was a beauty and had a distinctive voice. She was so gentle around Cashew’s chicks and was just a cool chicken in general. She LOVED to cuddle. She would jump into my lap and press her body up against mine. Here she is just the weekend before last. I will miss her, and so will poor, sweet Bridge, the only remaining hen from my original four.

5546BC81-C383-4D2E-A883-64C6EC62A24F.jpeg

And here she is in her full glory.
    805198EB-B69A-45D3-8540-CB346CB38646.jpeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: