In memory of...

RIP Bart. Bart, my beloved Jersey Giant mix roo. He hatched Christmas morning in my incubator and very soon grew to be enormous! He could jump 3 feet straight up to get a raisin out of your hand. Sadly, Bart died protecting his ladies from a fox. His death brought an end to free ranging of my chickens. Now they just get supervised trips outside their new pen.

Dirty Bart - best dust bath in town!
31698_p1000329.jpg

Clean Bart
31698_p1000123.jpg

I know this thread is old, but I am sad to say that I have to add a name of a very special chicken to it this evening: rest in peace, Mrs. Puff. You were a wonderful chicken and you will be sorely missed. I tried to give you a better life than your beginnings...but I have failed you. So many times I read warnings about free ranging chickens and dogs...and although my dog was chained, she tricked Mrs. Puff into coming too close and now I have a burial to attend to. She was such a funny girl. The only girl we would let loose to free range because she was so wise about it for so long... I will miss you my dear friend.

I loved you, you know.

63116_267837_254987414514700_100000103308965_1220682_3315679_n.jpg

Thanks, ourcrybaby...my kids found her, unfortunately...and my sister is confused as to why I'm not "beating the tar" out of my bulldog, but I know it was my fault the chicken was loose and the dog got her... I'm really down about it. She would come running when I went outside, she was just such a sweetheart. And now I have a bunch of chickens I can't let loose for sure...it just seems so inhumane to watch them pace their enclosures wanting out but I can't risk another one out...
sad.png

Its so sad about Mrs. Puff. Maybe the chickens and the dog can take turns using the yard. Don't be too hard on yourself, many others have accidentally lost chickens due to their own dog.

Last edited:
My sympathies to anyone who has posted here, especially more recent ones, having lost their beloved chicken companions.

Carl (red roo) and Cracker (white roo)- These two brothers were very special to me. Blind Carl was the sweetest rooster I've ever known, and Cracker was a big, silly, intelligent guy. Lost Carl due to giving up his will to carry on after becoming blind and Cracker to a snake. Two brothers with gentle personalities and big hearts. I miss you so much Carl, and one day may I have the chance to let Cracker steal a sandwich from me again.
DSCF0052.jpg

P3160937.jpg

Pops & Peeps-We aren't very sure what happened to Mr. Pops, but we know that we lost Peeps due to her saddness. The poor girl hated to be seperated from her rescue-mate and her condition went rapidly downhill after he passed away. Luckily, rescue-mate Gloria is still alive a year after their passing away. I love you both.
20110425114523_givens_popspeeps.jpg

To all others I have loved and lost including Sweet Boo, (my first ACTUAL chicken) Skittles, G.E., and more.

R.I.P. Mooshoo
He died of respiratory infection, He was the best roo ever.
hit.gif
hit.gif

69221_img_3180.jpg

R.I.P. Chip
she died of a hawk, she used to come running when she saw us.
hit.gif

69221_095.jpg

R.I.P. Elvis
He died of a hawk. Every night instead of going to the chicken coop he would fly into the window and wait for me to put him up.
hit.gif

69221_102.jpg

One of my favorite chickens died recently and I am just getting over it enough to look at a picture of her without sobbing. She was the silliest most entertaining chicken I had ever met and I love her dearly. Then one night I saw her poop egg yolk. I thought that was ok because one of my chickens poops out unfinished eggs all the time and she was fine, so I let her be. Then the next day she was barely walking and pooping out more egg stuff. I brought her in and gave her a warm bath then left her in the care of my mother because I had to leave for a mision trip meeting. When I came back doofy was dead and all I could think was what if I had taken her in the moment I noticed her problem. If I had just brought her in when I first saw her poop egg then she might have had a chance, it's hard not to feel like its all your fault.

this is doofy before we had problems with feather eating

34015_chicks_and_oddities_053.jpg

Doofy and the blackberry bush
Doofy was a very funny little chicken, she was the flock weirdo. Whenever we took all the chickens for a walk around the yard you had to have 2 herders: one for doofy and one for the rest of the flock. Doofy never stayed with the group and always did her own thing. I remember one time when we had let all the chickens out and were trying to herd them back in the coop. Doofy decided to have none of it and we were having a devil of a time getting her to coperate. Then doofy bolted for the blackberry hedge that bordered our lawn. She had totaly disapeared and we spent the rest of the day listening for doofy and galoping of toewards any sound that might have been her. Finaly, we gave up aa it was pitch black outside, and I numbly watched TV trying not to think about never seeing doofy again. Then, the next morning, we heard a terrible squacking coming from the coop. We rushed to see what was the matter and sure enough, there was doofy standing on top of the coop roof squacking her brains out. Thats doofy for ya.

we had a coop that its door had no ladder a few feet above the ground. the chickens could not figure out how to get up there by themselves, so we put an old lawn chair in front of it to help them out. the idea worked and the chickens could now go in and out of the coop. Exept now doofy had discovered "posing". Doofy would stand on top of the back of the chair and preen her feathers or simply take a pose that took her fancy. She loved her chair and and played on it every chance she got, thats doofy for ya.

Doofy, I will always love you and you will live on in your stories.

Its so sad to lose a feathered friend. Just reading about these sweet chickens brings a tear to my eye.

Missychicky, don't be too hard on yourself or blame yourself for doofy's death. I think many of us have wondered if we could have done more after one of our chickens died.

Back
Top Bottom