In memory of...

Longhaven Hen

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 3, 2009
Central Ohio
This thread is in memory of special feathered friends who have passed on. Please include name, breed (if known), a photo, and a sentence or two about how they lived (or died, if it's not too painful). I'll go first...

In memory of Rosemary, my 9 year old daughter's sweet little Ameraucana (EE?) pullet who died October 3, 2009.

43949_img_3423.jpg

Rosemary was fatally wounded in a chicken fight and had to be euthanized by my husband...hardest thing he's ever had to do. I sobbed uncontrollably, and my daughter was inconsolable and is still very said. We are new to chickens and the fault was ours (3 cockerels + 4 pullets + 3 new hens overnight in a 10 x 10 enclosure = 1 dead (obnoxious) cockerel + 1 mortally wounded beloved pullet). We learned a great deal about flock dynamics and pecking order from this tragedy, and Rosemary's death was not in vain, but she is dearly missed. RIP pretty girl. You were dearly loved.

Last edited:
10233_sick_died.gif
One of the sad facts of raising chickens is that some of them are going to die. I lost a few this past year and I always wonder what I could have done differently or better.

7205_sweetpea.jpg

Sweet Pea - Silver Grey Dorking Bantam Hen, lost her to an unknow illness the vet or I could not figure out.

She was the sweetest, funniest chicken and brought us great joy........

7205_snowball.jpg

Snowball - Frizzled Rooster , my chicken with nine lives........... he used up his last one after some trama to his head
He was goofy and I just loved to nuzzle in his feathers.... he was a trooper

7205_lookoutwpurp.jpg

My Dearest Look Out, Black Silkie Hen, lost her also to an unknown illness after much vet care and trying....
She was one of my first Silkies and taught me how wonderful that breed is and how hard it is to lose a feathered friend.
She was a one of a kind, wanted to always be with you and loved attention........... I still cry

Last edited:
This is Nanny Ogg, a Buff Orpington pullet. I could always tell her apart from the others because she had a deeper chirp and was very friendly...she'd even hop in my lap at treat time. She loved life and it was a shame that hers was cut short. She passed in August 2009 when I was out of state and my dogs dug into the coop. As with Rosemary, Oggy's death was not in vain...it resulted in my hubby building a much more secure yard for the chickens.

oggy.jpg

Dolly... our Delahorn that we hatched from an egg from Miss Jayne's.

It ended up being a little roo and a bigger roo did him in when he was just 17 weeks old..

10376_dolly_from_michigan.jpg

Thank you all so much for posting your stories and pictures. Sharing in your losses has provided a positive way for my daughter to deal with her grief and helped her to overcome some of her sadness at losing her sweet Rosemary. Hugs to all who have lost a special bird.
hugs.gif

This is Stretchy, our Barred Rock hen. We got her when she was already full grown. She was the oldest girl in the coop, kind of the coop matron. She hated any sort of change in the coop, and would want me to pick her up whenever she was unhappy. She had her special spot on the perch. When I showed her a chick for the first time, she was scared of it. She never really liked chicks, but she got used to them. Her best friend, Goldie, was the head hen. They would sit together, and, when we found Stretchy standing in the corner the day before she died, Goldie was standing next to her. She died quickly and painlessly the next day. She was such a sweet old lady. I know she's happy now. She's with our rooster, Vulture; our chick, Don Ella McKay; and our hen, Spot.

30030_hannahs_pictures_084.jpg

40490_01102009234.jpg

Isadora is on the right
She just got sick and I couldn't do anything for her. Except save her from any more suffering.

RIP Little Isadora
hmm.png

003-10.jpg

This is my sweet lovely neurotic Fussy. She was my very first chicken and we lived in town, so I would even bring her in at night and in the winters. She was so socialized, she always hated to see my cry, and would jump on my shoulder and preen my hair to try to get me to stop. She was exceptional, goofy, and gave me hours and hours of laughs over her crazy antics.

When my mother died, she went above and beyond, and actually jumped up and "hugged" me with her wing around my head.

Died Friday before last, Oct 30, 09 by a needless brutal dog attack. I never even found her body so I could give her services. A very loved chicken, have fun over the rainbow bridge, my love.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom