In rooster language, what does this mean??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bec, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Today my daughter went out to let the Orps out of their pen to free range around and all of a sudden my smaller roo ran over to her and scratched her leg. is this flogging? And What should I do if he does it again? He is only about 6-7 months old. My cochin roo is a big sweetie and has NEVER done anything like that! We hold them both a lot, so they are friendly, but all of a sudden just this one is being a butt head!

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
  3. geoaware

geoaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We spent a lot of time with our roo when he was a chick...and yet he is now the "killer roo from hell". We have had to separate him from the girls because he would attack us every time we got close to them.

I think its just in their makeup...and to have a happy friendly roo is a real blessing.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree! Time for a little rooster reform.

5. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Time for that boy to learn who the dominant "birds" are.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I spent oodles of time with my roo when he was young and that turned out to be a big part of my problem. Roosters don't understand friendship and love. They understand dominance. You have to dominate them and then they can be a happy, though standoffish roo. Doesn't work for all roosters, but it's worth a shot.

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:I spent oodles of time with my roo when he was young and that turned out to be a big part of my problem. Roosters don't understand friendship and love. They understand dominance. You have to dominate them and then they can be a happy, though standoffish roo. Doesn't work for all roosters, but it's worth a shot.

i had a similar problem because I didnt want him to be mean and even as a chick he was curious about me. It didnt take me long to set him straight.

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I read that article!! It was great!! Rooster boot camp will begin tomorrow!!!

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I had a roo that did that. I picked him up and held him close until he gave in. Only took about a week and it fixed his issues.

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh these success postings are good to read. Im just two days into my rooster boot camp. I sure never thought Id be using these techniques on my Chickie. Thanks for posting the link to that article. Im going to use the holding up side down option very sparingly now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by