In rooster language, what does this mean??

Quote:
I don't agree with this. I pick up & hold my roo when he tries to be agressive with me. When he stops struggling, I will put him down.

I also make a point of holding & making a fuss of the hens in front of him. He used to squawk his head off when I touched them. He has learned that I'm head roo, & that I'm in charge of the hens & him. I treat my chooks as pets & have found that with enough one on one time, they can be trained to do things that other chicken's won't do.

i meant before he gets aggressive when their babies and juvies,,,when he's aggressive and you pick him up,, he doesnt want to be, thats why its a "punishment" for him,,,, as babies they dont see it as a punishment,, only when they get older do they see it as that.

I can't help myself. I see all 8 of mine as pets. I guess that's why they all live in the house still.
big_smile.png

I've been trying the "boot camp" approach myself with Chief, my alpha roo. He became pretty nasty these last couple of months to the point of ridiculous. After 3 days of picking him up in front of the others (2 hens and Leroy, the beta roo) he's MUCH improved.

I was pretty darned skeptical, but looks like boot camp really does work.

Gwen

Last edited:
I have a silkie mix cockerel who I treat more like a pet. Today he started a new behavior and I was curious to know what it means, but couldn't find anything online. Note this is my first bird, so I am learning.
It is a normal thing for him to jump into my lap and get comfy, but this evening when he was in my lap I was rubbing his back and neck (as usual) and he just laid down flat, relaxed his wings (so they drooped a bit but weren't spread) and stretched his neck out and just laid his head down on my lap. He was making soft noises. It was just funny because it seemed more like something a puppy would do lol. What does this behavior mean?

Back
Top Bottom