Would you buy giant silkies?

• Yes

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Welcome to BYC! Despite what many "chicken experts" say, there is a such thing as a large Silkie. However, I read they are common in Australia, like bantam Silkies are in the U.S. (and probably the U.K. too). I'm not sure where you could get any though. Have a great day!

I'm an Aussie and can say we do not have giant silkies (as far as I know), and agree with drumstick diva that their size is a large part of their charm. (sorry if I ruined your hopes and dreams)

Ha. Thanks for all the love, peeps. :)

And thanks for jumping in too CrazyChookz! Hopes and dreams are still intact. I understand that some find smaller things more charming. I think dwarf goats are great for this reason.

However, there are other farm animals I prefer in the absurdly large. Take for example the flemish giants:

(Photo by New York Post)

I'd think it would be great if someone brought back the larger breed of silkie chicken. I've only been able to find a few photos of the larger ones online. I think the biggest upside would be larger eggs.

Hi Troy, I'm with you on the giant silkie idea. :D I was actually just talking to my husband last night about it, and then I stumbled onto your post! And I'm hoping to start a large silkie breeding project hopefully this year if not next. We just moved out on 40 acres and as soon as I can get some coops set up I'm planning on breeding the largest silkies I can get my hands on! For pets, meat, and extra large broody hens. Regular sized silkies are hawk and eagle bait here so I want something that's harder to carry off if you catch my drift lol!

Hello! My name is Troy and I have a small backyard flock of chickens. My wife, Tara, and I started raising chickens in the spring of 2014 and it's been awesome! We currently have two bantam cochins (black and chocolate) and splash polish.

I started an account because I'm looking for Giant Silkies. From what I can tell, this breed does not exist or if they do, no one near a computer is selling them.

• So, if anyone in the U.S. has giant silkies for sale, please message me.
  • Or, if anyone in the U.S. would be willing to breed giant silkies for sale, please message me.
  • Or, if anyone in the U.S. has large standard silkies for sale, please message me.

If there are any U.S. breeders interested in developing a giant silkie line, I would also be interested in possible business partnership, so please message me if this interests you.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear back from someone...

-T

I just bought six white silkies from TSC, I've heard theirs run on the larger side. I have ten white jersey giants coming in May. I plan on putting a couple giant pullets in with the silkies and start a cross, breeding for larger fibro black meat production.

You might find this thread interesting "our adult standard silkie hens weigh about 8-10 lbs" https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=502606&p=1

And this one https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/549435/giant-silkie

I am wondering if I might have a mutantly large silkie chick. She is larger than the large fowl barred rocks and salmon favs that hatched at the same time.The other silkie chicks that hatched with her are half her size. I have never had this happen before. She is not mixed breed and she came from a bantam egg! Anybody ever seen this before?

I am wondering if I might have a mutantly large silkie chick. She is larger than the large fowl barred rocks and salmon favs that hatched at the same time.The other silkie chicks that hatched with her are half her size. I have never had this happen before. She is not mixed breed and she came from a bantam egg! Anybody ever seen this before?

I don't have answer for you, but I was quit surprised to find out there is large fowl silkies, we just don't have them in the USA, I thought they were only bantam. Maybe a 'throwback' somewhere in the breeding? Where did you get them from originally? I've heard TSC gets there's from a hatchery that run large, I got mine from TSC and I hope they are.

I hatched them from my own stock. My birds came from Catdance (Karen Larson), Geri Godina and bobbi porto. I have hatched for several years and have never seen one like this. She seems normal otherwise JUST HUGE!

Back
Top Bottom