In the lay box 9 hours. Is she having problems passing egg?

She is sitting with me in this year's first warm day of 2023
20230410_094107.jpg
20230410_093759.jpg

Xray showed a long egg of unusual size relative to her tiny body stuck sideways. They manipulated the egg out and have saved it for me. The xray also showed something happening to her lungs. We don't know if it is a respiratory infection, fluid, aspiration, or something else... she said the lungs show "white spotting"... she is awake and I can pick her up at 4. I'm to continue the medicines she is on for their full duration and get a new blood check in ten days.

BTW, your bird has the same color pattern to my cockerel that died last year. Well now I know the name of his color.
She is a European blue quail and her wing bows are washed out. American blue quail watermaal are a dark brown roasted chestnut color with the blue so dark you need good pictures to tell it's blue quail and not standard issue.

Glad the vet could get the egg out and help her. Hopefully, her lungs will improve with treatment.
I am waiting for the digital copies of the xray. The doctor was supposed to meet with me to discuss her condition, but she was handling something that seemed emergent and the tech said they would mail them to me.

I am concerned about this new evidence. I haven't seen any symptoms of respiratory distress from her, besides the labored breathing that I assumed was a result of pain. Is she battling something infectious, is my whole flock potentially affected??

I kind of want to mention that total fees so far have hit the $1k mark, so if you're following along with a similar issue, she still isn't healthy yet and there's another blood draw planned

Back
Top Bottom