In the lay box 9 hours. Is she having problems passing egg?

Sorry that your later posts were during the night for me. In the picture, the dropping looks gelatinous, possibly like egg white. Glad that you could see a vet, but sorry that she has a reproductive infection. It is difficult to treat those. I am not familiar with quail, but antiboptic and meloxicam are pretty common to use in chickens. Let us know how she gets along.

Sorry that your later posts were during the night for me. In the picture, the dropping looks gelatinous, possibly like egg white. Glad that you could see a vet, but sorry that she has a reproductive infection. It is difficult to treat those. I am not familiar with quail, but antiboptic and meloxicam are pretty common to use in chickens. Let us know how she gets along.
You know... When I was assessing her droppings hanging from her butt, I went to clean it before putting *her away, and I thought that it acted an awful lot like egg white. It made me afraid for what that meant.

She is a chicken, but the color of her pelt is called "quail" and she has the dilute gene for blue, so she is called a "blue quail" barbu de watermael (or watermaal, depending on who you ask). They are belgian bearded bantams, just very very small, almost ayam serama size.
337881355_590624586112765_2620712751194654174_n.jpg

Oh, I see, I thought she was a chicken originally. She may have had a egg break inside after being egg bound. They can have just an egg membrane, no shell. That would cause her to feel pretty weak and lifeless. Calcium can help to expel the egg. There could be another egg on it’s way. Sounds like your vet is helpful.

Oh, I see, I thought she was a chicken originally. She may have had a egg break inside after being egg bound. They can have just an egg membrane, no shell. That would cause her to feel pretty weak and lifeless. Calcium can help to expel the egg. There could be another egg on it’s way. Sounds like your vet is helpful.
I am trying not to catastrophize and stay focused for her. :( I love her very much. They did an ultra sound and said there is a mass in her abdomen that they can feel but it is not near the cloaca, it is much further up in the chest cavity. That she is just a hair thin. She weighed 535 grams at her visit. What else can I do for her? I have instructions for how long to give the medicine, but I forgot to ask how long it will take to help her... if it does help, at all.

If she will not eat, you could tube feed her. Kay Tee baby bird feed is good to use for that. Most chickens will eat moistened chicken feed or scrambled egg. A mass could be a large lash egg or a tumor. Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.

If she will not eat, you could tube feed her. Kay Tee baby bird feed is good to use for that. Most chickens will eat moistened chicken feed or scrambled egg. A mass could be a large lash egg or a tumor. Check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.
Her appetite seems fine. She is flocking with the other ladies now and not in the box. Acting more normal. I have a friend suggesting I put her somewhere with no light or food for two days to make her stop producing eggs. She asked if my vet suggested it and she didn't. Would this be a good idea to do?

Back
Top Bottom