In the lay box 9 hours. Is she having problems passing egg?

SarahLadd

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
One year old barbu de watermael hen. She's been like this for hours. It's late at night and she is still in the box. Not presenting any broody behaviors. She's is lethargic and limp when I pick her up. I can't feel anything close to her vent.

20230402_211408.jpg

I put her on the roost pole and this is the posture she takes.

20230402_211745.jpg

Am I being alarmist?

One year old barbu de watermael hen. She's been like this for hours. It's late at night and she is still in the box. Not presenting any broody behaviors. She's is lethargic and limp when I pick her up. I can't feel anything close to her vent.

View attachment 3453468

I put her on the roost pole and this is the posture she takes.

View attachment 3453470

Am I being alarmist?
She definitely looks off. Do you have calcium pills or tums on hand?

I would give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet in the back of her beak to swallow. Place her either back in the nest box or inside a dog crate in the coop. If you can offer some fluids with sugar or electrolytes, it could help. She might be egg bound or sick.

I would give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet in the back of her beak to swallow. Place her either back in the nest box or inside a dog crate in the coop. If you can offer some fluids with sugar or electrolytes, it could help. She might be egg bound or sick.
How much to give of calcium?

I will also add that up until noon she was acting totally normal with the rest of the flock.

She is so small. I have tums tablets. I have cut it into 6 pieces. I don't want to hurt her. I will report back.

Back
Top Bottom