IN THE MIDDLE OF ASSISTING PLEASE HELP

I'm sorry I wasn't on this morning. It's hard to tell from the pictures but if you were able to remove that much membrane with no bleeding then it's probably ready. It's when you see bleeding that you need to stop, apply gentle pressure with the q-tip and then put it back in the Incubator to wait.

Assists do quite often require multiple removals from the Incubator to check progression, apply ointment, attempt removing membrane and so forth. So please don't fret about taking the chick out multiple times. Sometimes it's a quick process and the chick is ready, other times it takes multiple times.

For future reference, as mentioned by others, triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever, and applying with a q-tip is my favorite method.

I'm sorry this has been so stressful for you but you're doing the right thing by taking your time to make sure the little one is fully ready! Again, I do think since you were able to remove so much membrane without bleeding that it's probably ready so I imagine it will be safe to slowly proceed once you get home. Just take your time when working on it. Nobody wants their chick to get chilled but it's much worse if you rush things.

Thanks everyone! I’m home, and going to try helping some more I think.
image.jpg
Sorry, bad pic. See how the foot is out?

I have to leave again soon, but I’ll probably be back in about an hour. I’d just hate for him/her to hatch while I was gone, and be bleeding or something.

If you went through a vein and it didn't bleed, it's probably ready. I would imagine with so much chick exposed with no bleeding, the veins have already receded. It won't hurt to let it try to get out on it's own, but worst case scenario the yolk isn't fully absorbed yet and you have to leave it like that...I would wanna be home in that case.

Back
Top Bottom