In this Breeding thread, we post our Breeding Wishes

I would like a dual purpose breed with a pea comb, that comes in many colors.
There are Wyandottes with rose combs.
There are several breeds with single combs (Plymouth Rock, Sussex, Orpington)

Buckeyes are pretty much right-- but they only come in one color.

Standard Cornish are close when they are hatchery-grade, but the "good" ones are way too broad. And they still only come in a few colors.

They should exist in several patterns: single laced, double laced, spangled, and columbian.
Each pattern should come in gold and in silver, and maybe in red as well.
The lacing (or spangling or columbian markings) should be black, blue, splash, white, and chocolate.

It might also be nice to have them in solid colors (red, buff, black, blue, chocolate, white), along with barred, crele, mottled, and mille fleur. The barred and mottled could also be in black, blue, and chocolate.

Basic traits would be like any other good dual purpose breed: grow quickly to a moderate size, with hens that lay plenty of brown eggs and rarely go broody. I also want the pullets to start laying eggs at an early age.

I like eggs with darker speckles, but good production is more important than whether the eggs have speckles or not.

They should have normal feathering that does not require any special care, like what you would find on a Rock or Wyandotte or Rhode Island Red. So no feathered feet, crests, muff/beard, silkie feathers, frizzle feathers, extra-long tails, or the really fluffy feathers that can interfere with mating. No hen feathering either.
I had a dual purpose chicken once. her name was sparkle. I loved that hen. She was the best hen ever. She was Hickety Pickety my Fat Black Hen. she laid eggs, but not for any gentlemen. I went to the coop every day to see the olive egg my black hen laid. She only laid one. I miss Hickety Pickety my Fat Black Hen.

I would like a dual purpose breed with a pea comb, that comes in many colors.
There are Wyandottes with rose combs.
There are several breeds with single combs (Plymouth Rock, Sussex, Orpington)

Buckeyes are pretty much right-- but they only come in one color.

Standard Cornish are close when they are hatchery-grade, but the "good" ones are way too broad. And they still only come in a few colors.

They should exist in several patterns: single laced, double laced, spangled, and columbian.
Each pattern should come in gold and in silver, and maybe in red as well.
The lacing (or spangling or columbian markings) should be black, blue, splash, white, and chocolate.

It might also be nice to have them in solid colors (red, buff, black, blue, chocolate, white), along with barred, crele, mottled, and mille fleur. The barred and mottled could also be in black, blue, and chocolate.

Basic traits would be like any other good dual purpose breed: grow quickly to a moderate size, with hens that lay plenty of brown eggs and rarely go broody. I also want the pullets to start laying eggs at an early age.

I like eggs with darker speckles, but good production is more important than whether the eggs have speckles or not.

They should have normal feathering that does not require any special care, like what you would find on a Rock or Wyandotte or Rhode Island Red. So no feathered feet, crests, muff/beard, silkie feathers, frizzle feathers, extra-long tails, or the really fluffy feathers that can interfere with mating. No hen feathering either.
I would have a pea comb dual purpose bird, I like the pea comb. I've considered buckeyes before but I prefer other colors than red.

I have way too many things I want to do with chicken breeding.

I hear ya! I had to take a deep breath and step back with my silkied Cochins because I want to do it right and breed them to good quality, not just breed them willy-nilly and end up with something that kinda-sorta looks like a Cochin and is silkied. I wanted to try and introduce a bunch of colors to them, but I've decided it's for the best to focus on the BBS varieties for now... And Chocolate on the side just for fun, too, because I couldn't resist. 😅 But no more than those varieties for now!

Red Pyle Ameraucanas. (Any color Ameraucana I can make with blue or lavender down the road, that might have red or lacing as well.)

Some Red Pyle-patterned birds are Splash Red or Gold Duckwing from my understanding, so you could possibly get both Red Pyle and blue with red in one go from that.

I want to see if I can get single comb blue/green egg laying. (could be a pipe dream from the info I've read that blue eggs seem to be tied to pea comb) W/ slate legs.

Look into Legbars! They have a single comb and lay blue eggs, you'd just have to get the slate legs in there. The genes are close together and often inherited together, but it's not impossible to get one trait without the other, just look how many pea combed breeds there are that don't lay blue eggs!

Legbars are an autosexing breed from Britain. They have heavy Brown Leghorn and Barred Plymouth Rock influence in their background, hence the name Legbar. British Araucanas introduced the blue egg and little crest, but their creators were able to return them to single combs despite this influence in their background. Edit, whoops, apparently that's not true :oops:

My girl Harriet has the floppiest, foldiest comb ever, but I promise it's a single comb. 🤭

Harriet 7-29-22.jpg

Last edited:
I want to see if I can get single comb blue/green egg laying. (could be a pipe dream from the info I've read that blue eggs seem to be tied to pea comb) W/ slate legs.
The gene that controls whether a chicken lays blue eggs or not is linked to the gene that controls pea comb or not. So they do tend to be inherited together.

But they can be linked in any combination:
blue egg/ pea comb (Ameraucana)
blue egg/ not-pea comb (Cream Legbar)
not-blue egg/ pea comb (Brahma)
not-blue egg/ not-pea comb (Leghorn)

If you don't want to work directly with Cream Legbars, there are some Easter Eggers and some Olive Eggers that also have the linkage of blue egg with not-pea comb. "Starlight Green Eggers" are one of the Easter Egger types that tend to have single combs and lay green eggs.

Only thing about the legbars I don't like is the barring. Not a barring fan.

Cross Legbar hens to a non-barred male of whatever breed you're using to introduce slate legs. All of their daughters will be non-barred, have slate legs, and should lay blue or green eggs depending on the father's breed. 🙂

That's a misconception, Dr. Reginald Punnett used single comb blue eggers(mongrels by his own account) that came from Chile to create the CCL.

Ah, thank you for the correction, I had no idea! I'll go back and edit that post.

If you don't want to work directly with Cream Legbars, there are some Easter Eggers and some Olive Eggers that also have the linkage of blue egg with not-pea comb. "Starlight Green Eggers" are one of the Easter Egger types that tend to have single combs and lay green eggs.

This is true, too!

Y'all will have to forgive me for being a bit slow on the uptake here lately, my niece and nephew gave me the flu and I'm struggling to think straight today. 😅

Now that I think about, I believe I have all that I need to produce what would look like a True Ganoi, I have Oriental blood(Pakistani) and I could introduce the Naked Neck mutation. that is probably the most strait forward project.

Someone in the the States could also do it with Malays and Turkens

Back
Top Bottom