Inbreeding - Thoughts and Opinions.

LavyOrps

Chirping
May 23, 2021
I have some of the cutest little Easter Eggers. Their mother is an Easter Egger, and father is a Tolbunt Polish.

I have been thinking of trying to breed the cute babies to have more and more of this specific coloration. I have read some things that discourage invreeding and some that say there really isn’t an issue when inbreeding chickens.

The grey baby I would like to continue getting.

539E89ED-7417-48F0-9045-9FBB122A0D03.jpeg

Father
15E5BC64-FEE7-4B13-A06C-006C2611761D.jpeg

Mother
44DB6EA6-E2AC-4A7F-B57F-9F30ABE42292.jpeg

*I* don't know of any problems with inbreeding chickens. With waterfowl (ducks specifically), breeding sibling to sibling (hatchmate/clutch mates) has caused ~some~ problems with hatch rates and mortality but not anything like humans/dogs/etc. I'll tag some more knowledgeable folks because I am only speaking of my friends experiences.
@RoostersAreAwesome
@NatJ
@Amer

Edited to comment on your beautiful birds. How old are the chicks now? I'd love to see how they feather in. They're adorable 💜

Last edited:
It's not that much of an issue really.

Breeding full siblings can cause problems to arise if bred too far, I'd say no more then 2-3 generations of full sibling breedings.

Breeding back to the parents is better, & you can continue longer, even breeding back to grandparents will be perfectly fine.

I have some of the cutest little Easter Eggers. Their mother is an Easter Egger, and father is a Tolbunt Polish.

I have been thinking of trying to breed the cute babies to have more and more of this specific coloration. I have read some things that discourage invreeding and some that say there really isn’t an issue when inbreeding chickens.

The grey baby I would like to continue getting.

View attachment 2963948

Father
View attachment 2963952

Mother
View attachment 2963954
If you want more of that specific coloration, you could keep breeding the parents together. But I agree, sibling matings in the short term aren’t detrimental, and you can carry out parent x sibling matings for even longer.

Back
Top Bottom