Incandescent light bulbs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smoothmule, Dec 10, 2011.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    My husband told me that the incandescent light bulb is to be phased out. I read some information that stated the 100 watt bulb was to be phased out in 2012 and by 2014, all regular incandescent light bulbs would be history. There are a handful of exempt bulbs and since watt's higher than 100 were not mentioned, I hope some of the specialty lights that are exempt will include the 150 and 250 watt lights as well as heat lamps.

I haven't planned ahead yet for brooder lights without the old standard bulbs.

Anyone else know what we might expect and what their plans are if there are no incandescent's for brooder lights? I'm sure there are other sources of heat for brooders but I'm pretty sure they won't be as efficient

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs

2. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I heard the same thing. I would be interested to hear what everyone else has to say.

3. Hodawg

Hodawg Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I understand and have read, Congress repealed the Incandescent Light Bulb Ban last week as part of the new omnibus spending bill. It will be interesting to see if the President vetoes it or not.

Beers y'all,
    Ken

4. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Blue Moons all around. lol! Guess I will stock up on bulbs just in case.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have been buying incandescent bulbs of the wattage's I use the most. I went to several stores looking for a 15 watt bulb. I finally found some but I had already ordered some online. I wanted a red incandescent bulb (party light) and now most stores only carry the florescent colored bulbs so I had to order it online too.

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I find that a fluorescent clip-on work lamp for the brooder worked quite well, and gave out a lot of heat. Might've been a little bright for the chicks at night, but they survived. [​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Save your money. They aren't being outlawed, just mandated to be 30% more efficient, meaning it'll cost you less in electricity to burn them. See this article for the truth about what has become a very silly, but harmful malicious rumor. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/12/19/1046879/-Oooopsy-GOP-attack-on-light-bulb-efficiency-irks-manufacturers?via=blog_1

However
    , Congress has now angered the lightbulb industry who have spent millions in R&D to come up with a new improved incandescent bulb, upset it was all for nothing if Congress now cancels the new mandates. Politics isn't always intelligent.

Some warehouses with huge inventories of the older, inefficient bulbs that cost more to burn probably started the rumor to unload these old bulbs before the better, less costly bulbs become a hit with the public.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by