Inconsistent Air Sacs

They should. Lol
They could have all lost the correct weight still. But we won’t know for sure. I had one this last hatch that didn’t have movement of air cell size until lockdown.

That is quite possible. Most of them are Ancona eggs that all came from different ducks, so they are all different sizes, shapes and colors. I bought them from a local hatchery. The Rouen and Cayuga eggs all came from just 2 of the ducks in my yard.

Well only thing I can think of if air cells are not the same. All eggs hatch the same..

Not in my experience, but I tend to hatch multiple breeds at a time. I've found that eggs from different ducks can and will hatch differently. They can even hatch over several days instead of all on the same day. Some have harder shells than others, and the different shapes of the eggs from different ducks can affect the hatch as well. I just never had such a drastic fluctuation in air sac sizes before. It's possible that it is also a factor of different ducks' eggs I suppose.

Not in my experience, but I tend to hatch multiple breeds at a time. I've found that eggs from different ducks can and will hatch differently. They can even hatch over several days instead of all on the same day. Some have harder shells than others, and the different shapes of the eggs from different ducks can affect the hatch as well. I just never had such a drastic fluctuation in air sac sizes before. It's possible that it is also a factor of different ducks' eggs I suppose.
Also how much calcium exhumed plays a big part in hard shells.

Also how much calcium exhumed plays a big part in hard shells.

Yes. In this case, all of MY eggs have extremely hard shells. But, the eggs I bought had shells that were so thin, half of them had hairline cracks. I had to go back to get more (at no extra cost) to get a dozen eggs that were both fertile and suitable for incubating. 1 of those eggs quit during the first week of development.

Yes. In this case, all of MY eggs have extremely hard shells. But, the eggs I bought had shells that were so thin, half of them had hairline cracks. I had to go back to get more (at no extra cost) to get a dozen eggs that were both fertile and suitable for incubating. 1 of those eggs quit during the first week of development.
Well when hatching eggs you need to watch their calcium intake.

I assume all the eggs were fresh?

I’ve had it happen (currently happening, actually lol) I think different hens have stronger blooms than others. When I see some that are staying small, I take a sponge, lightly dampened, and rub those eggs a little, to remove some of the bloom, just to allow a little more moisture loss. I try to do that in the late-2nd to early-3rd week, to give them time to catch up.

I’ve had it happen (currently happening, actually lol) I think different hens have stronger blooms than others. When I see some that are staying small, I take a sponge, lightly dampened, and rub those eggs a little, to remove some of the bloom, just to allow a little more moisture loss. I try to do that in the late-2nd to early-3rd week, to give them time to catch up.
I'm going to try this tonight. I'm not feeling good about my hatch at all! Not seeing any movement on day 20 but this year I didn't wash the eggs so I'm hoping that maybe I just can't see?

ive seid it before... Your a national treasure!

Back
Top Bottom