Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Pics
More chicks hatching today. this is our second hatch, we have one more to go. first chick out looks like a real nice little pure Light Sussex. so I'm happy camper!
Karen

Hello! Has anyone had any experience hatching eggs? Or incubating? Has anyone gotten their eggs off ebay? If so, how many hatched?

Anyone want to join?

I got 7 Showgirl eggs. I was told that she had pens of SG to SG. I didn't realize this until after I paid. I am sure this is incorrect as I would have gotten more SGs. I had one SG, that died during zip, while I was at work. One was a late death, not a SG. The 5 that made it are adorable silkies.

I think that the sellers on EBay are like sellers for everything else: some are great, others terrible. I will tell you that the packing wasn't great. It was an egg carton with some paper towel wrapped around each egg and the carton had a piece of tape closing the carton. The carton was in a box with crumpled newspaper around it. When I tried to discuss the packing/ shipping using some bubble wrap, she said she's never had a broken egg. An eggshell that's not broken doesn't mean it has the best chance. Most of my eggs are shipped. I have seen great and poor packing.

Also, I do not agree with rating eBay eggs based on arrival of uncracked eggs. What if you end up with a different breed (as one person on here did)... or infertile? Rate after they hatch. Then you can give a fair evaluation.

There are too many factors involved. eBay just adds another issue... you don't know if the seller is trustworthy and they are shipped eggs. Honestly, unless you have to have them, consider the breeders here. Look at the 24 hour auction, you can often get them cheaper than eBay .

I just got a dozen D'uccles from TJ (porcelain/golden neck/Mille fleur) for about $30 including shipping. I think originally he wanted to give me more and I couldn't fit them. I have 16 silkie/SGs in the incubator already. My hatcher just emptied yesterday, so I have some room now... hmmm :celebrate

I got 7 Showgirl eggs. I was told that she had pens of SG to SG. I didn't realize this until after I paid. I am sure this is incorrect as I would have gotten more SGs. I had one SG, that died during zip, while I was at work. One was a late death, not a SG. The 5 that made it are adorable silkies.

I think that the sellers on EBay are like sellers for everything else: some are great, others terrible. I will tell you that the packing wasn't great. It was an egg carton with some paper towel wrapped around each egg and the carton had a piece of tape closing the carton. The carton was in a box with crumpled newspaper around it. When I tried to discuss the packing/ shipping using some bubble wrap, she said she's never had a broken egg. An eggshell that's not broken doesn't mean it has the best chance. Most of my eggs are shipped. I have seen great and poor packing.j

Also, I do not agree with rating eBay eggs based on arrival of uncracked eggs. What if you end up with a different breed (as one person on here did)... or infertile? Rate after they hatch. Then you can give a fair evaluation.

I agree with the exception of fertile. Just because an egg doesn't start developing doesn't mean it wasn't fertile, especially with shipped eggs. It could be cellular damage from shipping. You can't just crack it open after to "look" for fertility because a blastoderm that doesn't develop breaks down.

But feedback is more helpful based on packing, and quality of chicks. An egg doesn't have to break to be damaged. My supplier of my silkies last year had each egg wrapped in it's own bubble wrap, placed in a small box packed tightly with shredded paper. That box was placed in a slightly bigger box with bedding packed in between the two boxes for cushion. That is excellent packing. Not a single detached air cell. Only one that showed no development. 3 were early quitters, day 3 ish. 14 developed and made it to lockdown 12 hatched beautiful healthy chicks.

There are too many factors involved. eBay just adds another issue... you don't know if the seller is trustworthy and they are shipped eggs. Honestly, unless you have to have them, consider the breeders here. Look at the 24 hour auction, you can often get them cheaper than eBay .

I just got a dozen D'uccles from TJ (porcelain/golden neck/Mille fleur) for about $30 including shipping. I think originally he wanted to give me more and I couldn't fit them. I have 16 silkie/SGs in the incubator already. My hatcher just emptied yesterday, so I have some room now... hmmm :celebrate
Did you order more of the sgs or are they your own? I'd love to hatch some good quality established SGs, but they are impossible to find around here and I hate the thought of paying big bucks and get nothing because of shipping damage.

IMG_1521.JPG
Does anyone have hatching eggs in their incubators? I would like to see pictures

This is a coupl
I was unable to check the accuracy of the thermometer. I called the supplier about it and he says it is a well made incubator and I m to just trust and follow the instruction. I've set the temperature to 37.6 for 17 days. I had goose eggs in there with them initially and they are all developing as they should be. The humidity is about 50%.
I was unable to check the accuracy of the thermometer. I called the supplier about it and he says it is a well made incubator and I m to just trust and follow the instruction. I've set the temperature to 37.6 for 17 days. I had goose eggs in there with them initially and they are all developing as they should be. The humidity is about 50%.

I'm a little late getting this message . But the Brinsea Spot is a great double- check that is very reliable. It can be dropped through an air hole or anywhere to confirm ballpark.

Did you order more of the sgs or are they your own? I'd love to hatch some good quality established SGs, but they are impossible to find around here and I hate the thought of paying big bucks and get nothing because of shipping damage.

I found a breeder in Florida that has beautiful SGs. She is wonderful to work with and has shipped a distance. Because she goes the extra distance to ensure their safe arrival, I am willing to try. She also wants to know how they arrived, etc.

I'll let you know how it goes. It's only been a couple days. But she shipped me 16.

She also sexes her babies by DNA and said it's $20. Seems like a good idea, if we are on the fence of whether or not to keep them based on sex.

Back
Top Bottom