Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Pics
Hi all,

I initially bought 2 lots of eggs from 2 separate eBay sellers and this was my first time incubating eggs so that may well have affected things but out of the 12 none were successful!

6 had dislodged/saddled air cells and I suspect 3 were never fertile.

However I tried again and must say I've spent many nights reading posts on this forum and it's helped me so much.

I found an eBay seller that wasn't far away who was happy for me to visit and collect eggs and also see the chickens that had laid them which was great.

So now today I have 2 hatched and doing great and most others have pipped!

They are barred Brahmas and I'm sure I've spent most the day watching them in the brooder!

Attachments

• IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 3
I made one with a styrofoam cooler. This is my first hatch. So far one hatched, one died trying to hatch. I thought that was pretty good odds considering.

Best place to get eggs is from a local breeder if you can find them.

Pick them up don't use mail.

I have had a couple decent hatches from eBay. But my last purchase of 300 pheasant eggs. I'm down to about 100 or so most so scrambled never developed. Boxes got crushed and lost 70 busted on first round. Seller replaced.

If you get eggs from mail try to find a seller within a state or 2 close. So trip is short. With shipped eggs 50 percent hatch most often will be considered good

I have had a couple decent hatches from eBay. But my last purchase of 300 pheasant eggs. I'm down to about 100 or so most so scrambled never developed. Boxes got crushed and lost 70 busted on first round. Seller replaced.

If you get eggs from mail try to find a seller within a state or 2 close. So trip is short. With shipped eggs 50 percent hatch most often will be considered good

I find that there are certain post offices that are death to any eggs I've ordered - Memphis and any post office in Washington State. I have had 90% hatch rates from some shipped eggs, but most are closer to 50 to 60%. Local eggs are so much better!!

Hi all,

I initially bought 2 lots of eggs from 2 separate eBay sellers and this was my first time incubating eggs so that may well have affected things but out of the 12 none were successful!

6 had dislodged/saddled air cells and I suspect 3 were never fertile.

However I tried again and must say I've spent many nights reading posts on this forum and it's helped me so much.

I found an eBay seller that wasn't far away who was happy for me to visit and collect eggs and also see the chickens that had laid them which was great.

So now today I have 2 hatched and doing great and most others have pipped!

They are barred Brahmas and I'm sure I've spent most the day watching them in the brooder!
Awesome! Congrats! Shipped are risky.

Does everyone think its better to get fertile eggs from a hatchery or ebay?

This.
If you can find local, within driving distance, that is really what you want. Often you can locate fertile hatching eggs through Craigslist, or local fb poultry pages. Is there a certain breed you want to hatch?

I find that there are certain post offices that are death to any eggs I've ordered - Memphis and any post office in Washington State. I have had 90% hatch rates from some shipped eggs, but most are closer to 50 to 60%. Local eggs are so much better!!
Yup! For sure.

Back
Top Bottom