Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Pics
That is so true!! People are dishonest and honest and it really helps to read all feedback on someone before you bid. Because it really depends on more than just fertility. The way the package the eggs, as well as how brutal the post office is. Plus our own hatching processes can make a difference. I've bought ebay eggs about a dozen times. I've had great hatches, and horrible. But I'd say that for the eggs that I feel were fertile when they were shipped, vs eggs that were infertile, I've gotten more fertile. If I buy from Ebay, I do look for sellers that are closer to me. But like you said, there are some dishonest people. I ALWAYS wait until hatch day before I leave feedback. Because I once got eggs that were NOT what I ordered. I didn't realize it until they hatched. So, now, I wait. I won't just leave bad feedback....I will indicate poor packaging or say great packaging but obvious rough treatment by the post office. If NOTHING develops, I'll message the seller. If they offer to send new eggs, I"ll hold off on leaving bad feedback. If they say, too bad, then I'll leave the poor feedback. I'm not the only one. If you see feedback about poor response from the seller, that's not someone you want to do business with.

I agree! Good point on not being what you ordered! What if the eggs I have in the bator turn out to be barnyard mix!

I have had great difficulty finding LF Cochin and quality Silkie with Showgirl eggs. In hopes soon ...

I always look at feedback.

I am having some broody drama. My mama Big Bird has been sitting for about 35 days. One egg hatched 7 days ago. Of course mama is in the big house in the favorite spot. This morning the chick was out of the house running around and Big Bird was going crazy trying to stay sitting on her remaining eggs and trying to get her chick back. I probably should have left them alone but I rescued the chick and went to put her back with mom but Big Bird decided to take a much needed dust bath. I took the opportunity to candle and float test the overdue eggs 11 of them. Big mistake I know! They all went back under her because out of the 4 that looked like duds on both tests the first one I went to discard was Still Alive and now I am a murderer! How long do I let her sit and what do I do with this renegade chick?

I didn't notice that anyone advised you. You are lucky she didn't abandon the rest, but I'm not sure this will work much longer. Do you have an incubator?

What generally is recommended is that the eggs be incubated at the same time. I marked the eggs set under my broody so I knew when others were added, so I could pull them. The plan is they hatch together.

I guess that could happen during hatch. But when I watch her, she reminds me of my pediatric spine bifida patients. She seems to always try to use her wings to get around. The other D'uccles haven't done this. I haven't seen her move her bowels, either. That tells me it's only hours or a day until she weakens and passes. In the brooder (daytime) she's a target for the bigger chicks. I use a heating pad or even bra if needed to keep her calm. But she stopped eating anything now.

Update: Bobo eating and moving her bowels. I put her under the heat plate at night, but she feeds herself now. She's bright and lively but couldn't make it in a coop with most birds. JRNash, you would never approve :)

IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG
There are lots of factors that effect hatchabilty. Fertility..shipping..incubation practices..etc.

There are definitely risks. JRNash, were you the one telling me of the high infertility related to the heat recently? I have dealt with the same. But, not from everyone. I spoke to a breeder the other day that
7 out of 16 eggs were fertile. One was damp on arrival :confused: and was a blood ring a week later.

In addition, the shipping was such a horrible impact, that most of the air cells were saddled terribly -- going low. Incredibly, one that was completely detached did hatch. 3 hatched without intervention; 3 never even pipped. I do not blame the air cells on the breeder. Though, I suspect the eggs were older based on our conversation.

It frustrated me when I spoke with the breeder and she said that she wished me luck but blamed the shipping and possible X-rays. I was told that I should be happy. That 80% loss is normal with shipped eggs. But, that's just it: it's not loss, closer to dishonesty if there is not attempt to fix it. Infertility is the problem. She did her best with shipping.

My Langshan eggs were 100% & eBay silkies 100% fertility.

#2&4 same egg, hatched, other didn't.

Last edited:
All of that is why I now prefer buying from folks here on BYC. I can look at their activity, their posts, their pics and get a feel for their trustworthiness and attitude.

So... who has some Icelandic eggs? LOL!

All of that is why I now prefer buying from folks here on BYC. I can look at their activity, their posts, their pics and get a feel for their trustworthiness and attitude.

So... who has some Icelandic eggs? LOL!

It's true, of course. However, sometimes it's difficult to track down eggs. I can't believe I can't find LF Cochin here!

Hi all when I read the incubator instructions it's says eggs to stay at 38.2 eggs in but it's buzzing around 37.6..panick panick.not used to this way of incubation as a kid we put a bedside lamp some water in a box and turned the eggs by hand.only have 5 eggs in ATM do I up the temp a bit ? It's a janoel 24 machine

Hi all, hoping you can help. I have a Brinsea mini Advance and I'm incubating my first clutch. I'm setting up the temp, and I have 2 thermometers inside. The Brinsea is showing 38.6, the thermometers are showing lower. Which temperature do I believe?

Attachments

• IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    443.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi all, hoping you can help. I have a Brinsea mini Advance and I'm incubating my first clutch. I'm setting up the temp, and I have 2 thermometers inside. The Brinsea is showing 38.6, the thermometers are showing lower. Which temperature do I believe?

In the past, my first 2 Brinseas were spot on, any calibrated thermo I put in, matched. So, I trusted them. But my 3rd, is off by 3 full degrees (F). So, you should calibrate the extra thermo - if it is calibrated, then the Brinsea is off. But, Brinsea prides itself on their calibrated machines.

Again, your best bet would be calibrating your thermo....

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom