Incubating duck eggs questions

Little duck farm

Chirping
Apr 11, 2018
So today I put my 8 duck eggs in my incubator. Humidity is 55% and temp at 100degrees and eggs are on a turner. Questions are

Do I take them out once a day for 10 min?

What is lockdown mean? When is that happen durning the 28 days?

Do I need to spray eggs with water? Is so how many times per day?

My ducks are 7 months old laying eggs is that to young to incubate and hatch there eggs?

I advise reading this and following the advice contained therein. It should answer your questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-incubation.73350/

EDT: But it definitely won't answer the seven months question. If your ducks are laying normally-sized eggs (for ducks) and are on a nutritionally complete diet, and have figured out how to mate, then you should be able to incubate without more than the usual problems.

Pay close attention to the info on humidity. I think yours is too high. I have had some heart breaking hatches where the ducklings make it to 28 days and then die because they are too big to hatch. This happens if the eggs don’t lose enough water. Good luck! Hatching eggs is really amazing and fun when it goes well. :thumbsup

I am incubating 5 duck eggs right now. I am on day 3 and have it set at 100 degrees and 55% humidity as well. Everything I have read says to start taking them out at day 10 and spray them with lukewarm water and let them cool down, then back in the incubator they go. I’ve read to do that every day from day 10-24 and then on day 25, stop turning them and place them in for lockdown. Once on lockdown, the humidity will have to be increased, but I need to research how much. That is what I have researched so far. If you can find any information on here that is different, please let me know so I can read it as well!
Welcome to BYC!

Humidity:
May I suggest that you read @WVduckchick"s humidity article?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

Turning:
If hand turning it is recommended that you turn them at least 3 times a day and I think people suggest doing an it an odd number of times, so 3, 5, or 7.

Temperature:
Still air or forced air? @Pyxis's article says:
"If your incubator is forced air, meaning it has a fan in it that is blowing the air around to keep the temperature equalized throughout the incubator, you will want your temperature to be 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit/37.5 degrees Celsius. If your incubator is still air, meaning it does not have a fan, you want your temperature to be 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit/38.6 degrees Celsius measured at the top of the eggs."

I am incubating 5 duck eggs right now. I am on day 3 and have it set at 100 degrees and 55% humidity as well. Everything I have read says to start taking them out at day 10 and spray them with lukewarm water and let them cool down, then back in the incubator they go. I’ve read to do that every day from day 10-24 and then on day 25, stop turning them and place them in for lockdown. Once on lockdown, the humidity will have to be increased, but I need to research how much. That is what I have researched so far. If you can find any information on here that is different, please let me know so I can read it as well!

Back
Top Bottom