Incubating Eggs

Rubyredchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Hello,

I was wondering. I have ten eggs in my Little Giant Still Air incubator, and the eggs have been in my incubator for three days. I am getting six more eggs from a friend. Is it ok to put those six eggs in with the other ten eggs already in the incubator? Please inform me with any advice you have available. Thank you.

Rubyredchick

I wouldn't because on the 18th day the eggs should be on lockdown which means you cannot open the incubator at all. If you add more eggs you would have to turn them 3 times a day and you would mess up the lockdown, which is pretty important in hatching eggs.

Some people do staggered hatches and do OK with it, but most of them have a separate incubator that they use specifically as a hatcher. I’d recommend against it.

The humidity and turning are part of the problem. If there are only three days difference those are probably not all that important but it is an additional complication. I’d personally be more concerned with the chicks that hatch first getting the younger eggs all slimy and messy. That could help bacteria get inside which could kill the developing chicks or maybe even cause one to explode. Trust me. You don’t want a rotten egg to explode or even leak in your incubator.

The other problem is that the first hatch would need to come out of the incubator after the others are in lockdown. If they have pipped, you can shrink wrap them.

Bear in mind that there is a difference in what might possibly happen and what will absolutely each and every time without fail happen. The stinky egg of shrink wrap can happen but probably won’t. A staggered hatch complicates it but does not doom you to guaranteed absolute failure.

If you wish you can add the extra eggs late. Just treat the first eggs as if they were the only ones when it is time to lockdown and hatch. Anything you get out of the later eggs would be a bonus. If you can accept that you have made things more complicated and that bad things can happen, go for it. I look at it that there are ideal situations and there are the situations I deal with.

If you have the little giant egg turner can you take out some of the rails? that way you can be on lock down without opening the incubator up?

Quote:
Some people do staggered hatches and do OK with it, but most of them have a separate incubator that they use specifically as a hatcher. I’d recommend against it.

The humidity and turning are part of the problem. If there are only three days difference those are probably not all that important but it is an additional complication. I’d personally be more concerned with the chicks that hatch first getting the younger eggs all slimy and messy. That could help bacteria get inside which could kill the developing chicks or maybe even cause one to explode. Trust me. You don’t want a rotten egg to explode or even leak in your incubator.

The other problem is that the first hatch would need to come out of the incubator after the others are in lockdown. If they have pipped, you can shrink wrap them.

Bear in mind that there is a difference in what might possibly happen and what will absolutely each and every time without fail happen. The stinky egg of shrink wrap can happen but probably won’t. A staggered hatch complicates it but does not doom you to guaranteed absolute failure.

If you wish you can add the extra eggs late. Just treat the first eggs as if they were the only ones when it is time to lockdown and hatch. Anything you get out of the later eggs would be a bonus. If you can accept that you have made things more complicated and that bad things can happen, go for it. I look at it that there are ideal situations and there are the situations I deal with.
x2 Great advice given! I have staggered hatches but I have two incubators so I can pull eggs and lockdown. Good luck with your hatch!

Hello,

Thanks for the wonderful advice.
thumbsup.gif

I just got an egg turner...not good directions with it. Pointy side down, like for storing?

Yes. If you put the eggs with the pointy end up the air sac may detach and move. When the chick gets into position to hatch it will position itself so it can pip into the air sac and if it's not where it should be (the fat end) it will pip into whatever there is and suffocate. Have a look at Sally's incubation and hatching article for instructions and notes on incubation:

Hatching Eggs 101

No grey areas there!

Back
Top Bottom