Incubating first time. Temp 107!!!!

Carlylizards

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2017
So I am incubating for the first time. Doing coturnix quail eggs. Today is day 2 but I noticed yesterday at some point the temp got to 107! I fixed it but is there any hope? Are the eggs cooked? I only have 20 eggs in. I have been keep track of the temp the past 3 days before I put eggs in and it was staying a perfect 99.5 to 100. Why would it change all the sudden like that? Should I just take the eggs out and wait to get more eggs to try again?

Try two different thermometers

Also if it was just for a short period they are maybe just fine. Let them finish it and check at day 3 you should be able to make out a heart beat at day 3 :)

If it was a short spike, like less than an hour, I wouldn't consider it a lost cause. Even quail eggs have enough mass that it takes a little while to completely heat and cool. Wait until day 3-4 and candle for heartbeats.

I had a spike to about 110 on Day 1 in my current batch. I'm planning to candle at Day 7 and look for veins. Usually I don't candle until Day 14, but I want to be able to start again without waiting if they didn't make it. You might think about doing that.

My batch is "acting" the way it should for them to be alive. That is, I normally turn down the thermostat as incubation goes on because the embryos generate some metabolic heat of their own, and that is happening as usual.

I candled six and, although I couldn't see much, I had one that looked to be clear, four that look to be developing, and one definite blood ring, which means that the embryo developed somewhat before it died. So, my spike didn't seem to kill them and hopefully yours didn't either.

Did you check any yet? I can usually see a heartbeat by day 3-4.

Just wondering how yours are?
So I am incubating for the first time. Doing coturnix quail eggs. Today is day 2 but I noticed yesterday at some point the temp got to 107! I fixed it but is there any hope? Are the eggs cooked? I only have 20 eggs in. I have been keep track of the temp the past 3 days before I put eggs in and it was staying a perfect 99.5 to 100. Why would it change all the sudden like that? Should I just take the eggs out and wait to get more eggs to try again?

Oh such wonderful news!!! Thank you! Let us know how he hatch goes! I’ve been watching everyone’s threads and eggs :) I have a ton of my own but this never gets old haha!

Back
Top Bottom