Incubating peachicks

HStevens

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
Hello! I’m incubating chicks. One has already hatched and it only took about 4 hours from when I noticed the pipe. The second egg piped and we’re now going on 36 hours since then. It’s opened enough that I can see it’s breathing. Doesn’t seem to be sticky. Every once in awhile it chirps. I don’t know if we’re at the point where I should help it out of the egg or keep waiting. I know it’s super dangerous to help them but it’s worked so hard to get to this point I hate to see it die. Please advise!

Egg is partly zipped.

Hello! I’m incubating chicks. One has already hatched and it only took about 4 hours from when I noticed the pipe. The second egg piped and we’re now going on 36 hours since then. It’s opened enough that I can see it’s breathing. Doesn’t seem to be sticky. Every once in awhile it chirps. I don’t know if we’re at the point where I should help it out of the egg or keep waiting. I know it’s super dangerous to help them but it’s worked so hard to get to this point I hate to see it die. Please advise!

Egg is partly zipped.
If it partially zipped then I would think it needs help. If it were mine, I would assist.

Agreed. If it has partially zipped it needs help at this point. Slowly start chipping more of the shell away and look at the inner lining. If it is gray go ahead and proceed to remove the cap so the chick can kick out. If you see blood when you are assisting stop and wait a couple of hours to continue. Once the cap is removed I use a Q-Tip to gently pull the wing out from above its head and then let the chick do the rest. The action of kicking out is an important function of the hatching process.

Thank you all so much for the replies! I decided to assist and I’m glad I did. I actually think that it got shrink wrapped. The membrane wasn’t very moist around the parts the chick had already zipped. Now that the chick has been drying for a couple of hours I noticed there are spots on the wings that look like the membrane dried to it. Any tips or tricks on how to give the chick a bath? I don’t want to stress it out anymore. It’s moving around but hasn’t stood up yet.

Back
Top Bottom