Incubating peafowl eggs thread

Some people will give a drop of Nutri Drench to weak chicks. I've done that with chicken chicks and ducklings and it does seem to perk them up a bit.

-Kathy

Thanks for the advice! Little pea is doing splendidly now. SO happy. But it doesn't look like the other eggs are going to do anything. I'm thinking about running to the store to get him a buddy. What's my best choice? A Guinea, Duck, Chicken or Turkey? I should still be able to get most of these from the local farm store.

I know that Chickens and Turkeys can transfer diseases to Peas, but he is very lonely!

Thanks,
Heidi

I always put at least one or two baby chicks in with my newly hatched peachicks to keep them company and teach them to eat and drink. I keep their area clean and change out their paper everyday so that there is no poop or very little for them to come in contact with from the chicks.

Thanks for the advice! Little pea is doing splendidly now. SO happy. But it doesn't look like the other eggs are going to do anything. I'm thinking about running to the store to get him a buddy. What's my best choice? A Guinea, Duck, Chicken or Turkey? I should still be able to get most of these from the local farm store.

I know that Chickens and Turkeys can transfer diseases to Peas, but he is very lonely!

Thanks,
Heidi
I'd be hesitant about bringing home anything that's been anywhere but a brooder. Chicken or Turkey would be my choice, but only if their feet had never touched the ground.Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804570/coping-with-blackhead

-Kathy

Hatch day here today will be a long,drawn out one I suspect. I've got 3 IB eggs all butt end pipping. But my first 2014 Bronze chick is out and fluffing. Two BSSP eggs pipped with 4 more bssp to yet crack the shell. I've got 2 eggs that were fertile from my big 2year old group,one is pipped now but looks very dark color wise.Maybe a bronze but it's a "who's ur daddy" guess either the white or peach.

Hatch day here today will be a long,drawn out one I suspect. I've got 3 IB eggs all butt end pipping. But my first 2014 Bronze chick is out and fluffing. Two BSSP eggs pipped with 4 more bssp to yet crack the shell. I've got 2 eggs that were fertile from my big 2year old group,one is pipped now but looks very dark color wise.Maybe a bronze but it's a "who's ur daddy" guess either the white or peach.
Congrats on the one and hope all goes well for you! I have a bunch at day 24, so nothing for me here tonight.

-Kathy

We use Dickey and Leahy incubators to incubate the eggs and GQFs for hatchers.

4 years ago we hatched around 125 Peachicks, we don't hatch that many any more because the Peafowl market is pretty flooded and hard to sell them so we have cut back to about 50 peachicks a year now which is plenty with the price feed the way it is now.

Good Luck with your hatching.

Steve

Where are you located?

Was it this thread we were talking about floating eggs? Doesn't matter, lol, but this might interest some. It's for chicken eggs, but it will still work for peas, just add a couple of days to each, I guess.

33115_eggflotationchart.gif

It came from this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-charts-and-lots-of-reading-updated-nov-13th

-Kathy

Last edited:
Would any of you ever get hatching eggs off ebay??? I don't have many choices where I live. Ordering online seems to be my only choice really.
I wouldn't
wink.png
you never really know what you are truly getting and hatch rates on shipped eggs are not to good also many times the eggs cost more than local ones.
How long have you been looking for peas? it took me 7 months to find a breeder near me , run an addy on your local classifide site and see if ya get a bite, someone may see it and have what you seek or know someone that does.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom