INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, i like the delirious, hate the overtired
be ready, may want to give her some sugar to perk her up for a few and help her to crash
lol

She has had enough sugar to literally choke a horse.

Ok, if my chicks have only been inside, is it possible for them to pick Cocci up, without ever being exposed to the outdoors?  Their pens get dirty fast, so I have to change them every 3 days - 3 pens, I'm changing 1 pen every day.  But I went away for a couple days and their pens got nasty.  I THINK I saw blood in 1 spot.  Not sure which baby it came from.   I did find a dead baby this morning that looked like it had been suffocated.  All the other chicks look active and healthy.  Do I treat them with Corrid?

I think we have you paranoid. I don't think they can get it inside.

I'm usually paranoid....
hide.gif

:th

Goodness, I hope you have more reason than that! :oops:
LOL
I never said that- I just meant internet strangers is not the same as a face-to-face friend. :lol:
Good afternoon benny!

That will do it fer sure!!
:thumbsup
Burd pics!!! Okay, I'm listening. :weee
:eek:
EEEEEEEEEE SQUEEEEEEE KABOOM BURD!! :weee
:sick

Hi yall... Still 450 more posts to catch up on and can't stay, so catch yall later.... :frow

lol see you later!!

She has had enough sugar to literally choke a horse.
lol she should crash nicely,
I was thinking the same thing on the cocci but don't know enough about it

It'll help! It'll help!!

You have any relatives in Louisiana?
I've never laughed this hard in months.
Thanks for that.

Ok, if my chicks have only been inside, is it possible for them to pick Cocci up, without ever being exposed to the outdoors? Their pens get dirty fast, so I have to change them every 3 days - 3 pens, I'm changing 1 pen every day. But I went away for a couple days and their pens got nasty. I THINK I saw blood in 1 spot. Not sure which baby it came from. I did find a dead baby this morning that looked like it had been suffocated. All the other chicks look active and healthy. Do I treat them with Corrid?
It is possible if you tracked some indoors and there was some moist bedding.

The life cycle is complex. If a chicken eats a coccidia egg (oocyst), it contains 8 coccidia.
It is then crushed in the gizzard releasing eight sporozites.
They lodge in the intestine wall and begin to reproduce.
In 4 to 6 days depending on species, there will be 2 or more generations.
By that time, millions of oocysts are released in the feces.
How it affects a bird depends on how many oocysts are ingested.
In highly contaminated bedding or soil a chicken could eat as many as one million oocysts.
That is too many for the bird to develop resistance.
The oocysts must sporulate to become infective. That takes as little as 18 hours in a moist environment.
Coccidia are sensitive to mold, bacteria and ammonia so don't survive long in bedding unless it is moist.
The worst outbreaks are in new flocks where the birds are exposed to new species and haven't had the opportunity to develop resistance.
Outbreaks are worst in warm humid weather. Winter chicks don't usually encounter enough to cause an outbreak.
They can spread by people's shoes, vehicle tires or even the feet of wild birds or any equipment that hasn't been disinfected.
This is the reason I suggest keeping feeders at least half full to limit the amount of feces a chicken will ingest.
Chickens are voracious eaters and need feed available at all times. They will fill their crops with something no matter what.

Knowing this can allow one to manage their birds to eliminate the need for medicated feed or even medication.

Last edited:
I've never laughed this hard in months.
Thanks for that.

It is possible if you tracked some indoors and there was some moist bedding.

The life cycle is complex. If a chicken eats a coccidia egg (oocyst), it contains 8 coccidia.
It is then crushed in the gizzard releasing eight sporozites.
They lodge in the intestine wall and begin to reproduce.
In 4 to 6 days depending on species, there will be 2 or more generations.
By that time, millions of oocysts are released in the feces.
How it affects a bird depends on how many oocysts are ingested.
In highly contaminated bedding or soil a chicken could eat as many as one million oocysts.
That is too many for the bird to develop resistance.
The oocysts must sporulate to become infective. That takes as little as 18 hours in a moist environment.
Coccidia are sensitive to mold, bacteria and ammonia so don't survive long in bedding unless it is moist.
The worst outbreaks are in new flocks where the birds are exposed to new species and haven't had the opportunity to develop resistance.
Outbreaks are worst in warm humid weather. Winter chicks don't usually encounter enough to cause an outbreak.
They can spread by people's shoes, vehicle tires or even the feet of wild birds or any equipment that hasn't been disinfected.

Knowing this can allow one to manage their birds to eliminate the need for medicated feed or even medication.
goodpost.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom