INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One yes, one not as much. Farm lady up the road thinks they're 2-3 months and close to weaned. But HER goat expert friend thinks they're 4 weeks, max. Just playing this by ear.
I've never had kids w/o their mother around to raise them, so I've never had your problem. I think I'd call the local large animal vet, tell him what you've got, and see if maybe you could soak some starter feed in the milk replacer, in case they're not able to handle dry feed yet. Mike would know for sure; might save you a vet trip/charge.

Can't get the tag to work

@mim Mike

I've never had kids w/o their mother around to raise them, so I've never had your problem. I think I'd call the local large animal vet, tell him what you've got, and see if maybe you could soak some starter feed in the milk replacer, in case they're not able to handle dry feed yet. Mike would know for sure; might save you a vet trip/charge.

Can't get the tag to work

@mim Mike
Probably not... it's mlm (MLM, but lower case) Mike. @mlm Mike

16 days, 2 hours, and 24 minutes in. I really REALLY hope that blue egg makes it.
fl.gif
so close to lockdown!
-Banti
fl.gif

Found this awesome grow out/extra coop today after realizing just how large my 2 boy and 4-5 girl Bielefelders will be! $75, never used! I am accepting suggestions on how to convert. First thing will be to add asphalt shingles to the roof... Then, I'm thinking just one nesting box added either where the one door is, or off one of the sides... Possibly having their ramp come up from the bottom...but I'm not sure how. @Pensmaster -aren't you the one doing all the coop building? @Sally Sunshine
Nice Find!

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
THANK YOU Sally, whites, mike, Dax, Tony (?) and everyone else who helped me this evening. I'm finally feeling comfortable with the tiny bleating aliens who apparently live in my house now.
wee.gif

You're welcome!

Quote: They should be able to handle dry feed. We normally dam raise, and the kids start trying eating grains and hay a couple days old, not much, but they try whatever mom eats. Bottled fed kids start later.

Quote:
Thanks, Joey!

Good evening everyone, good night to everyone that has already gone to bed. I just opened up the incuview and tossed the dead eggs, and started to take it apart to sterilize. I had 5 calibrated hygrometers in there and they read 98 to 100.5. When I got down to the water trays, the water was cold. How can the water be cold? I had the glass stones in there, as well as pennies (from the 60's). Even with the pennies, the water was slimy. I've never used the water trays before, I've always had sponges up top, they were easier to add water to.

So, questions - shouldn't the water in the water trays be as warm as the air in the incubator?

With pennies in the water trays, shouldn't that prevent the water from getting slimy?

If I use the Incuview for the early hatch days (the water trays will be dry), can I put the sensor from one of my hygrometers under there - if so, what should the temp be under the eggs? Does it even matter?

I've seen in the past, but can't seem to find it.....there is a sensor shaped like a fake egg that you can use to check the temp inside the eggs - does anyone know what it's called?

Thank you!!!!!

Good evening everyone, good night to everyone that has already gone to bed. I just opened up the incuview and tossed the dead eggs, and started to take it apart to sterilize. I had 5 calibrated hygrometers in there and they read 98 to 100.5. When I got down to the water trays, the water was cold. How can the water be cold? I had the glass stones in there, as well as pennies (from the 60's). Even with the pennies, the water was slimy. I've never used the water trays before, I've always had sponges up top, they were easier to add water to.

So, questions - shouldn't the water in the water trays be as warm as the air in the incubator?

With pennies in the water trays, shouldn't that prevent the water from getting slimy?

If I use the Incuview for the early hatch days (the water trays will be dry), can I put the sensor from one of my hygrometers under there - if so, what should the temp be under the eggs? Does it even matter?

I've seen in the past, but can't seem to find it.....there is a sensor shaped like a fake egg that you can use to check the temp inside the eggs - does anyone know what it's called?

Thank you!!!!!
Something is amiss. Yes, the water should be around 100F, same as the air temp... or close to it. It might be a little cooler due to thermal conduction through the bottom of the tray, but should still be warm. The temp below the mesh should be similar to the surrounding air since it is a fan-forced bator. The fan may not be running fast enough to circulate the air like it should. I believe it also has an adjustment in the menu.

The water shouldn't be slimy. Not sure what that's all about, but I highly recommend distilled or RO/DI water instead of tap. Pennies may attract some impurities, but copper also oxidizes in the presence of moisture. Not worth the risk to me...

You're asking about the "egg-o-meter".

I,an worried about my set tip for my chicks.it's like u would hAve ducks there getting wet.the paper towel soaked.anyone have an idea for a waterer to where they can put there head and drink and not get there feet or body wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom