INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey now who you calling a boob?
hide.gif

GEESE
I,read it but I'm having trouble understanding

I haven't caught up yet, but I have an update. Paula my sweet Cream Legbar girl died today while I was at work. She was my very first chick, and was like a pet (unlike most of the rest). I took care of the chicken chores while working up the nerve to do the necropsy, and then I opened her up on my processing table (in the fading light, but with a lantern). I've processed my excess cockerels before, so I know what things are supposed to look like in there. No worms, normal GI tract. ENORMOUS liver, with some tumors in it, spleen with tumors, and chains of huge tumors all along her back/spine. Looked like lymphoma (and in the same distribution you would find lymphomas). (I'm a pathologist, so I have an idea of what lymphoma looks like.)

As I already have a pullet with very classic ocular Mareks, I assumed that was it (and it fits the presentation). She was vaccinated, but so was the one with ocular Mareks, and I know it's not fully protective. But at least her chicks would be ok, since Marek's is not passed to the egg - I got 5 girls and one boy from her. However, posting elsewhere, someone pointed out that it could also be consistent with avian lymphoid leukosis.... which from my initial reading in the Merck's Vet Manual, IS passed to the egg, resulting in the chicks having tolerance, high levels of viremia, and ultimately dying of tumors. I retrieved pieces of liver and tumor and put some on alcohol and some in the freezer, and will call the lab tomorrow. 

If it's avian lymphoid leukosis, I believe that that would mean I would need to cull them - and as I can't easily identify the mother of most of the chicks because of all the tumbling around in the incubator, I would have to cull all but a couple of the malpositoned ones that I marked (if I can still tell them apart). Which is horrifying. I'm sort of stunned at the idea of putting down all of those little one week olds in the brooder right now. I hope the lab can help me.

So, in celebration of life, I just put the shipped aloha Naked Neck eggs in lockdown. I candled quickly - air cells still look like the same size (so no more growth), and all appear viable. One was kicking like crazy. Here's hoping I get some live chicks from this hatch.:fl

- Ant Farm

Oh no, that's horrid..... I hope it is not that. :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

So tomorrow i was supposed to be placing 13 eggs in lockdown well because of my temp and humidity issues i thought it would be best to candle them tonight to see if they were ok good thing i did , cause they dont look to be more than two weeks developed 6 werent moving and their veins look broken so im frustrated and upset

I haven't caught up yet, but I have an update. Paula my sweet Cream Legbar girl died today while I was at work. She was my very first chick, and was like a pet (unlike most of the rest). I took care of the chicken chores while working up the nerve to do the necropsy, and then I opened her up on my processing table (in the fading light, but with a lantern). I've processed my excess cockerels before, so I know what things are supposed to look like in there. No worms, normal GI tract. ENORMOUS liver, with some tumors in it, spleen with tumors, and chains of huge tumors all along her back/spine. Looked like lymphoma (and in the same distribution you would find lymphomas). (I'm a pathologist, so I have an idea of what lymphoma looks like.)

As I already have a pullet with very classic ocular Mareks, I assumed that was it (and it fits the presentation). She was vaccinated, but so was the one with ocular Mareks, and I know it's not fully protective. But at least her chicks would be ok, since Marek's is not passed to the egg - I got 5 girls and one boy from her. However, posting elsewhere, someone pointed out that it could also be consistent with avian lymphoid leukosis.... which from my initial reading in the Merck's Vet Manual, IS passed to the egg, resulting in the chicks having tolerance, high levels of viremia, and ultimately dying of tumors. I retrieved pieces of liver and tumor and put some on alcohol and some in the freezer, and will call the lab tomorrow. 

If it's avian lymphoid leukosis, I believe that that would mean I would need to cull them - and as I can't easily identify the mother of most of the chicks because of all the tumbling around in the incubator, I would have to cull all but a couple of the malpositoned ones that I marked (if I can still tell them apart). Which is horrifying. I'm sort of stunned at the idea of putting down all of those little one week olds in the brooder right now. I hope the lab can help me.

So, in celebration of life, I just put the shipped aloha Naked Neck eggs in lockdown. I candled quickly - air cells still look like the same size (so no more growth), and all appear viable. One was kicking like crazy. Here's hoping I get some live chicks from this hatch.:fl

- Ant Farm
:hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom