INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sally Sunshine
I'm down to 3/18 eggs and after candling them tonight I'd be surprised if any of them make it to Day 14. Today is Day 7. The air cells are giant even though I've tried to maintain decent humidity (25-30% on a few of those days, the rest of the days >50%). The temps seem good, but I don't know if my thermostat should have been recalibrated. I calibrated my other therms and they're reading 99-101. The rough start is probably going to result in a complete loss. I'm hoping the seller follows through and send more as she promised.

I received the Stabil 48s today, and they fit perfectly in my new incubator. Thank you, @Dheltzel
I, unfortunately, got no work done on it today because I had to paint my son's room.

Select only for type in the F1 birds, those showing some improvement that you are looking for. Cull all others.

Mate F1xF1=F2. You will get some even better typed, some that look like your F1 birds and some of each parent variety. Select the birds showing the most type improvement and demonstrating some or all the color traits of PA.

If you get very typey pullets with most of teh traits you want in the F2, then you can use the F2 Pullets under the male PA to get back more color traits but will loose some type from the PA bird that is not improved.
PAxF2=BC1AI

like to run an additional pen or two with F2xF2=F3.

I like to run to at least the F2 generation before making a back cross for the color, even then I only make that mating for a good cockrell to go back over the F2 females that will reinforce the type while working back to color as well.

BC1AxF2.

That allows for the following mating in the 4th generation

BC1AxF3.

Then you will have selected the F3 for type in F1 birds, Type and some color in F2, Type and some color in F3. The BC1A will have more color and improved type but not as good as the F2 or F3 birds. use the BC1A to bring in teh additional color with type from teh F2 and F3 birds.
So the breeding for type improvement looks like this.

Year 1 PAxPB=F1

Year 2 F1xF1=F2

Year 3 F2xF2=F3 and PAxF2=BC1A

Year 4 F3xBC1A and BC1AxF2,

Year 5 Take pullets from each breeding and mate to cockrells from teh other breeding, after selecting for type and color both.

Wow. I'll try that someday. Probably in a couple years though. I don't have enough coops yet! What does F1 and BC1A stand for?

Quote:
You have my F1 matings!!

post #36768 your on our hatchers list for the thread!!!! yayyyyyyy Trish wants serama but I am having fert issues dang it!! love us some Trish too!!!
Is that what that list is??? I'm still a little lost...I saw my name though, YAY!! Trish has all kinds of things going on...she had Polish & Sumatra too. Gotta say I'm excited to see the Seramas hatch...I haven't hatched them in 2 years. You forget how tiny they are.
love.gif
yes thats who is currently hatchings on this thread lol. and some are not on it cause I aint that good! lol I miss some times. she has harmonyanns curly sues you should get frizzles!

I'm pretty sure a lot are your bloodlines, definitely the brahmas, seramas, and probably the CCL for the OE cross. I'm giving her all of the Seramas back when they hatch, but I'll enjoy hatching them.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/1046313/incubating-w-friends-come-hatch-learn-chat-meet-new-friends/66180#post_16657913 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
These are so cool! Aren't these your projects? How do you understand the equations? I still have a lot of research in breeding left to do.

Select only for type in the F1 birds, those showing some improvement that you are looking for. Cull all others.

Mate F1xF1=F2. You will get some even better typed, some that look like your F1 birds and some of each parent variety. Select the birds showing the most type improvement and demonstrating some or all the color traits of PA.

If you get very typey pullets with most of teh traits you want in the F2, then you can use the F2 Pullets under the male PA to get back more color traits but will loose some type from the PA bird that is not improved.
PAxF2=BC1AI

like to run an additional pen or two with F2xF2=F3.

I like to run to at least the F2 generation before making a back cross for the color, even then I only make that mating for a good cockrell to go back over the F2 females that will reinforce the type while working back to color as well.

BC1AxF2.

That allows for the following mating in the 4th generation

BC1AxF3.

Then you will have selected the F3 for type in F1 birds, Type and some color in F2, Type and some color in F3. The BC1A will have more color and improved type but not as good as the F2 or F3 birds. use the BC1A to bring in teh additional color with type from teh F2 and F3 birds.
So the breeding for type improvement looks like this.

Year 1 PAxPB=F1

Year 2 F1xF1=F2

Year 3 F2xF2=F3 and PAxF2=BC1A

Year 4 F3xBC1A and BC1AxF2,

Year 5 Take pullets from each breeding and mate to cockrells from teh other breeding, after selecting for type and color both.

Im going to use this. I dont really have goal in mind for my crosses im wokring on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom