INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When,can I let her play in the water.

Depends on where the water is.A swimming or wading pool ain't likely to hold 'gators, unlike the bayou.
I don't know about domestic goose breeds, but wild Canada Geese swim behind momma about as soon as they're feathered out, I believe.

I think they swim before feathered out, just like ducklings, but they are waterproof from sleeping under mom. Ducklngs and goslings incubatd in incubators or under chickens aren't waterproof, so they are at risk of getting too wet and hypothermic.

-Kathy

I feel like such a dummy. My boy who has slowly been getting worse over time has lice! I'm still taking his poo to the vet but I'm going to mix up some of my permethrin concentrate and treat for lice. I can apply it directly to the bird right? Once it's diluted?

I'm not sure about using the liquid. Any reason you don't want to use the permethrin dust?

-Kathy

So lately, I have been only getting around a dozen eggs a day out of my 40+ hen's. And, since I have been home for spring break, I let them out to free range. Well, I decided that I would go out in the bushes and look for a "secret" nest where they have been laying their eggs. And I found this!

It was under one of my mesquite trees with a bunch of grass made into a little hideout.
Seen anyone going back & forth like they're setting them?

I'm not sure about using the liquid. Any reason you don't want to use the permethrin dust?

-Kathy
I absolutely can, I have the prozap garden and poultry dust. that's .25% permethrin. Should I just hold the chicken down and rub it into the feathers?

Would that kill the lice right away?

Last edited:
Okay, So I have Permethrin concentrate with 13.30% Permethrin in it.  It says to dilute 8 ounces into 16.5 gallons of water and spray 1/2 ounces of that solution per bird or 1 gallon for 100 birds.

I have max 12 birds to treat so I think I should be safe only making a single gallon of diluted solution. So 1/2 ounce concentrate to a gallon of water, then I mist all the coops and bedding and stuff. Would this also be misted on the birds themselves or would I put some in a little dropper bottle and apply the diluted liquid directly onto their skin?  

for treating poultry lice.

Since some of the lice live on the feathers I would apply it to the feathers and skin. Apply under wings, vent, thighs back and maybe some on the neck. Careful not to get the sick one to wet, 'cause getting him cold might be enough to send hm over the edge. Might be better to get some permethrin powder just for him.

-Kathy

Since some of the lice live on the feathers I would apply it to the feathers and skin. Apply under wings, vent, thighs back and maybe some on the neck. Careful not to get the sick one to wet, 'cause getting him cold might be enough to send hm over the edge. Might be better to get some permethrin powder just for him.

-Kathy
Okay. I will powder him and his lady and spray the coop and bedding. After I clean it out and replace it. How long would you say it takes the powder to kill the lice?

Last edited:

-Kathy

I absolutely can, I have the prozap garden and poultry dust. that's .25% permethrin. Should I just hold the chicken down and rub it into the feathers?

Would that kill the lice right away?

It will kill the lice in a few minutes. If you want to see how many are on him, dust him and place in a box on paper towels. Come back in 30 minutes.

Many species of lice, so very gently catch him and check his crop. If full of fluid, be sure not to invert him or put pressure on his crop. Apply dust to vent, under wings, legs, back and maybe some on his neck. Peafowl get head/ear lice, so I will apply a little dust to the head if I see them. I do this my making a small pile and placing a little "pinch" on each side of the head.

-Kathy

-Kathy

Okay. I will powder him and his lady and spray the coop and bedding. After I clean it out and replace it. How long would you say it takes the powder to kill the lice?

They'll start dropping off in a minute or two and should be gone within an hour.

-Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom