INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!!!!!! Guess who just had a 100 percent hatch!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!!
I'm up to 10 pips on 17 eggs. Tick....................... tock.........................tick.......................................................................................................tock..........................................................................................................................
Very funny!
I noticed she started eating misc stuff out in the yard, sometimes pcs of shale, and grass weeds who the heck knows what she eats now... I assume meds make her do it?
Mine did it from anxiety.
I should add my incubator is a hovabator 1588 force air. I am using little cups of water to regulate the humidity.
I saw that recommended from only Metzer. I'm guessing you're right about it just being their hatchers with those huge fans.
Hello all just set my first duck eggs on Friday and have read different things about humidity on just about every website. I need some expert advice. So here I am ;) The paper they threw in with the eggs from the hatchery said to keep the humidity up to 86% and 94% at hatch! That seems super high to me.(My guess is this is for the commercial hatcheries?). I have looked and looked through the threads but it is hard for me to know just what a duck needs. (this is my first duck hatch and I'm a wreak already) haha. I will second guess my every move, that's just my nature. So from what I gather so far is 45-50% is ideal until hatch and hatch is 70ish? ?? Whats the expert advice here?
I have had good success at 40-50 until lockdown, and then 70 for the lockdown and hatch, but I have not done duck eggs regularly. Perhaps Ravyn or MC can chime in on this, they are currently hatching ducks.
Answered in another thread.

Miss (I hope) Journey joined us today and is demanding

her sibling to get their butts out here!

I joined. That is what I have been trying to learn and get ready for.
Wow, just googled your bator. Is it one of those huge metal ones?!? COOL! First thing I'd do after cleaning it, is plug it in! I think it's a still air (as far as I can tell). Does yours have a fan?? As far as humidity gages, there are tons of different ones. I use this cheap-o one from walmart. Not super accurate, but gives you a good ballpark estimate. I also like that it tells you the temperature highs and low in the last 12hrs. That way you can see if your bator is holding steady. As far as the stick thermometer, go ahead and calibrate it using the ice method and see how accurate it is. To do that you fill a bag (or cup, whatever!) with ice - stuffed, then fill it with just enough water to be able to get the termometer in there and shake it a bit. Plunk your thermometer in the ice water for a minute or two and see how close to 32F you get. Post results here!

Last edited:
@Sally Sunshine it is a brower. What do I need to get to measure humidity? It comes with a stick thermometer. Do you just put a second one in to check?
You'll need a hygrometer to measure humidity. IncuTherm Plus is what I use. The "Plus" is a thermometer and hygrometer all-in-one... and it has a remote sensor so you can keep the LCD screen outside the incubator. I bought a few Farm Innovators thermometers that I use inside the incubator. When you get those things, you'll need to check them for accuracy. Ice water test the thermometers, and there's a saltwater test to check the hygrometer.

Yes, it is a round metal one 11400-3. I will check the thermometer tonight, as soon as I finish eating I have to go outside while the sun is shining I have to add a five by six loafing shed to my goat shed for my new pure blood registered Saanen buck. I will take my NFL redzone and get er done
Thanks for your help and advice.

Miss (I hope) Journey joined us today and is demanding
her sibling to get their butts out here!
I hope it works! I'm waiting for my Miss BPR to demand the others to join her in the "outside world". I say "Miss" because the dark legs and un-defined spot on the head are indicative of a female:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom