Incubation Pointers 4 Begginers

Country Guy John

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
South Carolina
Good morning all,

I am seeking some advise from you all regarding my first attempt at incubation. Based upon the the many posts that I have read on here, I purchased the Hova-Bator 1588 incubator. On this past Friday, November 21st, I set 20 jersey giant eggs. I have not touched the settings on the incubator based upon instructions. My temperature according to my accurite thermometer has been reading 101 and the humidity has been reading 58. I have also been turning the eggs at least 3 to 4 times a day.

I have been reading alot of posts and articles with varying information and I just want to make sure that I am on the right track for a successful hatch.

Any suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

John,
I'm not an expert at all, but I've had a couple of pretty decent hatches, and read a lot of information on this site. So for what it's worth, I think your humidity is too high. The first 18 days, the egg has to lose a certain percentage of its volume in order for the chick to hatch successfully. The air sac should eventually end up being 1/4 to 1/2 (but no more) of the size of the egg. If not, the chick will drown when it pips. It is better to have your humidity lower the first 18 days, then up it for the last 3.

You may want to candle your eggs to see the size of the air sac and adjust your humidity from there.

ETA...Also, from what I've read, you should always turn your eggs an odd number of times, so that the same side is not always down overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
John yes 40% then 55% the last 3 days. Read you temp. at top of the egg if no fan.

Try not to open except to turn or add water. Most newbe open way to much.

My hum. is 40-45 the first 18 days, then 60-65 the last three. You really have to find what works best for you and your environment. I've come to realize that it why you never get one answer that everyone agrees on.

My first hatch, I did the "dry" incubation method. My hum. stayed around 30 - 35% the first 18 days, then 50% the last 3. I ended up having to help 2 out of the shells b/c the membrane stuck to them like glue. So I upped the hum on the 2nd hatch and it worked perfect. (Well, at least perfect for the only egg that hatched...The others were damaged in shipping, but that's another story.)

Once you get the first hatch behind you, you can tinker with your settings from there to find out what works best for you. You want to be able to acheive at least an 80% hatch rate (I think that is the number that I read.)

Most importantly...don't open the bator the last 3 days. If you have to add water, do it as quickly as possible. I put a straw thru the vent hole and add water with a syringe.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ETA...Just saw you're my neighbor! What part of SC? I'm in W. Cola.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate all of your feedback. I will make sure that I adjust the humidity. It should cause a problem being at the level that it has been at for the 1st 4 days.

I will keep everyone posted!! I'm going to think positive that I will have a great hatch.

Happy Thanksgiving to you All!!!

John,

Summerville, SC

Back
Top Bottom