Incubator/hatching related questions

Thanks for all the encouragement and good wishes, guys!
So, the cracked egg looked like it was peeping, buy I understand not all chicka actually have a chance to get out. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the egg at the moment.
I realize now I should have put the eggs into a carton that's not made of plastic but thats the only one I had for quail egg size.
Where do you get your quail egg cartons? I didn't see any at Tractor Supply.
Will move the new chick into brooder tonight as I am at work today.

We're always here for encouragement and well-wishes! We've all had our own unique experiences to bring to the table. I have learned SO MUCH from this site - I'm so glad I finally joined so I can be part of the conversations! I just like helping if I'm able and learning when possible.
I have not had to purchase any cartons, as most of my Bobwhite eggs have been delivered in them, but I did find these on ebay for you -http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Moulded-...078?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419486949e - really not bad for what they're asking and you can probably find them cheaper on there with enough digging.
I couldn't find them at TSC last time I was there, either. I don't think any of their stores (here, at least) carry quail size cartons, but maybe they can order them? I didn't ask, I was just looking to see what kind of quail product selection we have here.
Other than ebay, maybe check Amazon.com? They usually have comparable {and sometimes cheaper} prices.

Here's my OLD automatic eggs turning system, just rolling them back and forth 3 times a day.

0.jpg

And here's my NEW manual eggs turning approach, rocking the whole tray of eggs 2-3 times a day.

(BTW eggs on the left tray were washed, the right ones weren't. From your washing note, I may have over-washed my eggs. I read somewhere how people washed so I soaked my eggs for a couple minutes, wiped away any gunk, rinsed, sprayed a diluted solution of clorox, rinsed again, left in the sun a few minutes to dry ... I might have killed all the fetuses in there! :) Will update.

In the video you can hear the flaw in your old turner and why your hatch rates are lower than you want..... The eggs banging against the wooden dowels several times every stroke. This causes the vibration that eventually ends the chick... They are the most fragile in the first 7 to 10 days. Its my belief that its the vibration during trucking that causes a common 50% hatch rate in shipped eggs. If you have ever had a cup of coffee in your cup holder while driving in even the smoothest riding car. The coffee always shows a lot of vibration..... A mail truck has a LOT more! I like the new turner BTW...

Last edited:
Bill, you have such nice set ups!!

I get all my egg cartons off E-bay too. Seems to be the best deals on egg cartons there.

So, I just came home and there are 6 total that hatched. See picture attached.
Now, question for you, guys - I have the brooder ready - how do I transfer them? There are a couple that hatched couple of hours ago and there are two that just hatched an hour ago. I do not want to shrinkwrap the newly hatched ones.

What do you guys do?

Last edited:
So, I just came home and there are 6 total that hatched. See picture attached.
Now, question for you, guys - I have the brooder ready - how do I transfer them? There are a couple that hatched couple of hours ago and there are two that just hatched an hour ago. I do not want to shrinkwrap the newly hatched ones.

What do you guys do?

You can do it quickly and FatDaddy gave us an excellent tip with the spray bottle. I'm going to have a spray bottle ready from now on.

Make sure your brooder is warm enough, with warm water available. Use pebbles to prevent drowning. Dip their peaks in the water once so they know where to get water. Tons of tips on this forum.
In a few hours when they get stronger, make sure your daughter has a chance to hold & play a little bit, before the start to poop every time you hold them :)

Good luck.

So, I just came home and there are 6 total that hatched. See picture attached. Now, question for you, guys - I have the brooder ready - how do I transfer them? There are a couple that hatched couple of hours ago and there are two that just hatched an hour ago. I do not want to shrinkwrap the newly hatched ones. What do you guys do?
I would leave them. I left my last hatch for about 6-8 hours it wasn't worth the risk of hurting the others. They can survive for like 24-48 hours before the need actual food.

In the video you can hear the flaw in your old turner and why your hatch rates are lower than you want..... The eggs banging against the wooden dowels several times every stroke. This causes the vibration that eventually ends the chick... They are the most fragile in the first 7 to 10 days. Its my belief that its the vibration during trucking that causes a common 50% hatch rate in shipped eggs. If you have ever had a cup of coffee in your cup holder while driving in even the smoothest riding car. The coffee always shows a lot of vibration..... A mail truck has a LOT more! I like the new turner BTW...

Thanks. That's very interesting to know. Maybe this explains what I thought was a low fertility rate. I've had about 20% "glowing" eggs that I thought was infertile. I keep ratio of 5-7 hens per roo to keep it low stress for the hens. I thought that such high ratio explained the low fertile rate.

I have to be careful when turning my new manual tray turner then. It can hit the end point with a "clunk" if I'm not careful.

Ok, transferred 4 out of 6 into the brooder. They seem fine so far. The other 2 are still in bator and getting stronger.

I don't have a spray bottle, so didn't spray when I opened it but planning just to sprinkle with water off my hands next time I will open it to transfer the other two.

You guys don't help them out of the shell, right? I have one that is peeping strongly but it taking hours so far.

Back
Top Bottom