Incubator & movement in egg. - RIP Chip/Chipette

TWO EGGS BORN THIS MORNING !
I woke up to three very loud sounds, which was peeping.
I got up and looked at the incubator, and two of them were out and walking around in the incubator.
What a long morning it has been, I woke up at 1:00 and stayed up until everything was situated.
We don't have names for them yet but soon will.
Also, is it normal for them to peck at each other? Like one is pecking the other and the other pecks him back.
I separated Krackle from the two because he's a little more stable and likes to peck at everything and it looked like he was being aggressive.
So I put a small plastic box in there and put the babies in it under the heat lamp, and left Krackle the rest of the pen.
Should I just let them all be together or was I right to keep them separated a bit?
Krackle still sees them through the plastic and pecks at the plastic box...
Thanks

I got up and looked at the incubator, and two of them were out and walking around in the incubator.
What a long morning it has been, I woke up at 1:00 and stayed up until everything was situated.
Also, is it normal for them to peck at each other? Like one is pecking the other and the other pecks him back.
I separated Krackle from the two because he's a little more stable and likes to peck at everything and it looked like he was being aggressive.
So I put a small plastic box in there and put the babies in it under the heat lamp, and left Krackle the rest of the pen.
Should I just let them all be together or was I right to keep them separated a bit?
Thanks
you did the right thing, give the babies a few days to get their feet under them good then try putting them together. Krackle hasn't been with ducklings yet and of course they only have their bills to try things out but him being older could hurt one of the new hatchlings. Congrats can't wait for pics. Since they can see each other they will be bonded in no time. So excited for you and i know you are relieved. Come on next baby...

Thanks
Second what Miss Lydia said, The newest should be seperated for a bit so they can get warm, get eating and drinking without Krackle bothering them. Important that they can still see each other and get used to each other. Congrats! Sounds like you have happy healthy babies so far!!!!

UPDATE:
The last one of September was born so now we have 4 lil healthy ducklings.
We have one more in the incubator for October 5th but not sure if it'll come out since we've open and closed it a lot.
I'd be perfectly fine with my 4 lil angels.
Will put up pics and more updates everyday.

UPDATE:
The last one of September was born so now we have 4 lil healthy ducklings.
We have one more in the incubator for October 5th but not sure if it'll come out since we've open and closed it a lot.
I'd be perfectly fine with my 4 lil angels.
Will put up pics and more updates everyday.
Yay Congrats.... We sure do love it when there is healthy babies to celebrate!! will be looking for pics. How is Crackle doing with the new ducklings have they been together again?

Krackle was introduced to them yesterday and of course they pipped at each other but after a little while, they fell asleep all together in a big clump.
They are already eating and drinking after Krackle teaching them.
We decided to name all the babies with the letter 'K' as the first letter.
So far we have Krackle, Karmel, Kernel, & Krusty.
Then the last one (if it hatches) will be Krispy.

Krackle was introduced to them yesterday and of course they pipped at each other but after a little while, they fell asleep all together in a big clump.
They are already eating and drinking after Krackle teaching them.
We decided to name all the babies with the letter 'K' as the first letter.
So far we have Krackle, Karmel, Kernel, & Krusty.
Then the last one (if it hatches) will be Krispy.
Thats great news, I had a feeling once the new ones got some strength all would be well. Be sure to post pics along the way so we can keep up with them. Cute names too. And hoping the last egg hatches.
fl.gif

So now it's Wednesday and they're going to be all put together today. They are all eating and walking (except for the last one who is new to walking).
They chirp/peep a lot but their cute.
Krackle seems to be like a mother to two of them but then those two aren't close to any of us at all.
What can I do to get them to think of me more as their mother?
When we let them out, they only follow Krackle while Krackle follows me..

So now it's Wednesday and they're going to be all put together today. They are all eating and walking (except for the last one who is new to walking).
They chirp/peep a lot but their cute.
Krackle seems to be like a mother to two of them but then those two aren't close to any of us at all.
What can I do to get them to think of me more as their mother?
When we let them out, they only follow Krackle while Krackle follows me..
And thats probably the way it will be too. But spending time with them just sitting and talking quietly with them will warm them up, but of course they will imprint on their own species. So now at so many days old Krackle is a mommie. So cute. Keep an eye on the one not walking so good yet, you don't want the other bowling it over. Don't forget the pics too. LOL Hey they will follow Krackles lead and be climbing all over you soon I bet.
wink.png

Hello again !
It's been about 6 months since this event and the 4 little ones are now these big white ducks !
Still my babies but they're bigger than their parents.
Not much to say other than that they live outside now with their parents, but separated because the father would try to hurt them. We currently have two kiddie pools for them but in the next week or so, we're getting a tarp and making a pond for them, with a pump for the drainage.
I do have a question though (even if it's in the wrong thread), but is there any plants I should look out for that could be toxic to the ducks? Just-in-case I want to surround the pool with flowers, plants, etc.

Hope all of your waterfowl are doing well, happy hatching and all :)

Back
Top Bottom