Incubator Questions..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bex, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    I hope this is a good place to ask this.

So I'm looking to buy my DH an incubator for Christmas because I'm a good wife, ha. [​IMG]

He *would like* an automatic egg turner, but it's not necessary (in my opinion) and since we're on a rather "tight" (probably an understatement) budget, it's probably not something he's going to get. [​IMG]

We'd need something that would do a few chicken eggs, and would also work for duck eggs. We don't need anything huge or fancy, just something that works.

Any suggestions? You guys have more experience than I do. [​IMG]

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Any hova bator is great.

Look up georgia quail farm, they make them

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Get him the Hova-bator Genesis 1588. [​IMG]

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Making one is really cheap! [​IMG] All you need is a Styrofoam ice chest/cooler, a lamp kit, hum./temp. gauges, fan(optional) turner(bought, made, or you could use the egg carton method), mesh wire, bowl water(only filled up if hum. goes down to 25%, and that's called dry incubating, which works well!), and a thermostat.(also sometimes optional!) and some people buy "water wigglers(squishy toy thingys) Those are the basic things that you may need.
    Hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a 1583 Hova circulated air that my hubby got me as a gift, it runs perfect, I've hatched over 250 chicks in it just this year and more on the way!! Not one problem keeping the humidity and temps stable from the first day of use.

6. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll take a look into the Hova's. Thanks all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by