Incubator stopped heating halfway through hatch!

TehLizardKing

Songster
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Lincolnshire
I have spent about 200 quid on golden, silver and swinhoe pheasant eggs. My Brinsea Octagon inky has, of course, stopped working a few days into the hatch. The eggs themselves feel lukewarm, but the inky still reads the right temps! My room has got significantly warmer in the past few days, could this have affected the inky thermostat? Was the inky calibrating off external air temps maybe? It definitely isn’t above 30*c in my room let alone hatching temps. I only noticed that the eggs feel cold today as I am hand turning (they’re shipped eggs). So weird! Can anyone help? I’m about to dismantle to see if anything has jiggled loose. A few older eggs had died (I have a separate Hatcher so am incubating eggs of different ages) but can see heartbeats in some younger ones, so hoping this hasn’t been going on for long. Any help would be V appreciated:( I have one small broody bantam who can cover about 16 eggs, but even if I can fit them all under her which I doubt I can, she’ll roll them about normally and possibly ruin the already dodgy air cells. I’m worried lol.

I’m really sorry to hear that. Have you got a separate thermometer in the incubator too or could you put one In see how much colder it is. Your room temp should not of effected the incubator. I always run a separate thermometer and hydrometer in mine. If it’s very early days and they haven’t got too cold they may still be fine.

I have spent about 200 quid on golden, silver and swinhoe pheasant eggs. My Brinsea Octagon inky has, of course, stopped working a few days into the hatch. The eggs themselves feel lukewarm, but the inky still reads the right temps! My room has got significantly warmer in the past few days, could this have affected the inky thermostat? Was the inky calibrating off external air temps maybe? It definitely isn’t above 30*c in my room let alone hatching temps. I only noticed that the eggs feel cold today as I am hand turning (they’re shipped eggs). So weird! Can anyone help? I’m about to dismantle to see if anything has jiggled loose. A few older eggs had died (I have a separate Hatcher so am incubating eggs of different ages) but can see heartbeats in some younger ones, so hoping this hasn’t been going on for long. Any help would be V appreciated:( I have one small broody bantam who can cover about 16 eggs, but even if I can fit them all under her which I doubt I can, she’ll roll them about normally and possibly ruin the already dodgy air cells. I’m worried lol.
Best thing you can do right now is get them all in the fridge (obv in the right orientation) and place the 16 under the broody, even if they have dodgy air cells I assure you she’s the best shot you have at them hatching. If they get cold but not cold enough they will start developing weirdly and they’ll be dead by lockdown, so you have to make sure they get below 70F ASAP.

Then either find another incubator or a broody, they might last for 12-24 hours in the fridge, but the shorter it takes you to find a solution the better.

Back
Top Bottom